B.S. (USTC), M.S. & Ph.D. (Caltech)
Nanophotonics, Optomechanics, Optoelectronics, Photonic integrated circuits and devices, Nanofabrication
Resume of Career
Prof. Xiankai Sun received his Ph.D. degree in Applied Physics from California Institute of Technology in 2010. From 2010 to 2014, he was a Postdoctoral Associate and then an Associate Research Scientist in Department of Electrical Engineering at Yale University. Since 2014, he has been with Department of Electronic Engineering at The Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK), where he is currently an Associate Professor. Since 2021, he has been serving as an Associate Director for Center of Optical Sciences at CUHK. He is an expert on chip-scale integrated photonic, electronic, and mechanical devices and systems. His current research focuses on novel photonic and optomechanical nanodevices for both fundamental research and practical applications.
Prof. Sun has published 86 peer-reviewed journal papers, 63 conference papers, 3 book chapters, and 1 book with a total citation of 2624 and the h-index of 30 (Google Scholar). He is currently an Associate Editor for Optica and Journal of Lightwave Technology. He was a session organizer/chair/co-chair in the conferences PIERS 2016, 2021, IMCO 2018, 2019, and OGC 2022, and a technical committee member in the conferences ACP 2018, 2020, ICOCN 2019, CLEO 2020-2022, and AOPC 2021. He was an evaluator for judging the research and professional activities of the Institutes of the Czech Academy of Sciences. He was also an external reviewer of grant proposals for the Israel Science Foundation, the French National Research Agency, and the European Research Council. Prof. Sun received fellowships from many professional societies, including the IEEE Photonics Society, the Photonics Society of Chinese-Americans, and SPIE (the International Society for Optics and Photonics). He was honored as a finalist of the prestigious Blavatnik Awards for Young Scientists by New York Academy of Sciences in 2013 for his contribution to “experimental research of nanoscale optomechanical systems.” He also received the Early Career Award from Research Grants Council of Hong Kong in 2015.
Current Research Interests
Nanophotonics, Optomechanics, Optoelectronics, Photonic integrated circuits and devices, Nanofabrication
Highlights of Recent Research Achievements
- First demonstration of a Si/InGaAsP hybrid laser
- Invention and demonstration of a supermode hybrid laser
- First demonstration of high-quality gigahertz optomechanical systems
- Demonstration of world’s smallest optomechanical system
- First demonstration of microwave-frequency optoelectromechanical systems
- Proposal of a hybrid graphene/silicon integrated optical isolator (selected as one of the world's 30 most clearly communicated breakthroughs in optics in 2016)
- Demonstration and application of bound states in the continuum in integrated photonics
- ENGG1100: Introduction to Engineering Design
- ENGG1310, ESTR1003, ESTR2006: Engineering Physics
- BMEG4410: BioMEMS
- ELEG5550: Micro- and Nano-Fabrication Laboratory
Honors and Awards
- Early Career Award, Research Grants Council of Hong Kong (2015)
- Finalist, Blavatnik Awards for Young Scientists, New York Academy of Sciences (2013)
- Bor-Uei Chen Memorial Scholarship Award, Photonics Society of Chinese-Americans (2010)
- SPIE Scholarship in Optical Science and Engineering (2009)
- IEEE Photonics Society Graduate Student Fellowship Award (2008)
- Li Ming Scholarship Award, Caltech (2008)
- Chinese Government Award for Outstanding Overseas Students (2008)
- Phi Tau Phi Scholarship, Phi Tau Phi Scholastic Honor Society of America (2007)
- CESASC Scholarship, Chinese-American Engineers and Scientists Association of Southern California (2006)
External Service in Recent 3 Years
- Associate Editor of Optica (2022–present)
- Associate Editor of Journal of Lightwave Technology (2021–present)
- Lead Guest Editor of Journal of the Optical Society of America B (2022–2023)
- Associate Editor of Optics Express (2016–2022)
- Editorial Board Member of Scientific Reports (2018–2022)
- Symposium chair for S6: Optoelectronic Devices and Applications at 2022 IEEE the 7th Optoelectronics Global Conference (OGC 2022), Shenzhen, China, 09/2022
- Organizer for session SC3: Integrated Lithium Niobate Photonics in the 2021 PhotonIcs and Electromagnetics Research Symposium (PIERS 2021), Hangzhou, China, 11/2021
- Technical committee member of S&I 9: Photonic Integration in the 2022 Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics (CLEO 2022), San Jose, CA, USA, 05/2022
- Technical committee member of Topic 7: Optoelectronic Devices and Integration in the 10th Applied Optics and Photonics China (AOPC 2021), Beijing China, 06/2021
- Technical committee member of S&I 9: Photonic Integration in the 2021 Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics (CLEO 2021), San Jose, CA, USA, 05/2021
- Technical committee member of Track 6: Micro-, Nano-, and Quantum Photonics: Science and Applications in the 2020 Asia Communications and Photonics Conference (ACP 2020), Beijing, China, 10/2020
- Technical committee member of S&I 9: Photonic Integration in the 2020 Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics (CLEO 2020), San Jose, CA, USA, 05/2020
- External evaluator of graduate courses for The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shenzhen (2021, 2022)
- External evaluator of PhD theses for The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shenzhen (2020)
- External reviewer of grant proposals for the Israel Science Foundation (2021)
- External reviewer of grant proposals for the European Research Council (2020)
- External evaluator for judging the research and professional activities of the Institutes of the Czech Academy of Sciences (2020)
- Invited journal reviewer for Nature Photonics, Nature Nanotechnology, Nature Communications, Science Advances, Advanced Materials, Light: Science & Applications, Physical Review Letters, Laser & Photonics Reviews, Advanced Functional Materials, Advanced Optical Materials, Nanophotonics, ACS Photonics, APL Photonics, IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics, Journal of Lightwave Technology, Optics and Laser Technology, Optics Letters, Optics Express, Journal of the Optical Society of America B, IEEE Journal of Quantum Electronics, IEEE Photonics Journal, IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, Physical Review Applied, Physical Review A, Physical Review B, Applied Physics Reviews, Applied Physics Letters, Journal of Applied Physics, etc.
Publications for the Past 3 Years
86 refereed journal papers, 63 refereed conference papers, 17 invited conference talks, 1 book, 3 book chapters, total citations: 2624, h-index: 30 (Google Scholar, as of Sep. 2022). For a complete list of publications, please visit my Google Scholar profile at http://scholar.google.com.hk/citations?user=Z8CHWjsAAAAJ&hl=en.
- Yue Yu, Xiang Xi, and Xiankai Sun, “Observation of mechanical bound states in the continuum in an optomechanical microresonator,” Light: Science & Applications, 2022. (accepted)
- Xiang Xi, Chang-Ling Zou, Chun-Hua Dong, and Xiankai Sun, “Highly tunable broadband coherent wavelength conversion with a fiber-based optomechanical system,” Advanced Photonics, 2022. (accepted)
- Yue Yu, Zejie Yu, Zunyue Zhang, Hon Ki Tsang, and Xiankai Sun, “Wavelength-division multiplexing on etchless lithium niobate integrated platform,” ACS Photonics, 2022. (accepted)
- Taojie Zhou, Jingwen Ma, Mingchu Tang, Haochuan Li, Mickael Martin, Thierry Baron, Huiyun Liu, Siming Chen, Xiankai Sun, and Zhaoyu Zhang, “Monolithically integrated ultralow threshold topological corner state nanolasers on silicon,” ACS Photonics, 2022. (accepted)
- Jiawei Zhang, Ziyao Feng, and Xiankai Sun, “Realization of bound states in the continuum in anti-PT-symmetric optical systems: a proposal and analysis,” Laser & Photonics Reviews, 2022. (accepted)
- Huade Mao, Yue Yu, Yu-Xuan Ren, Ka Yan Chan, Jiqiang Kang, Xiankai Sun, Edmund Y. Lam, and Kenneth K. Y. Wong, “Neural optimizer for inverse design of complex-modulated hologram implemented by plasmonic metasurfaces,” Advanced Photonics Research 3: 2200085, 2022. https://doi.org/10.1002/adpr.202200085
- Fan Ye and Xiankai Sun, “Hofstadter butterfly and topological edge states in a quasiperiodic photonic crystal cavity array,” Optics Express 30 (15): 26620–26627, Jul. 2022.
- Xudong Liu, Jialiang Huang, Hao Chen, Zhengfang Qian, Jingwen Ma, Xiankai Sun, Shuting Fan, and Yiwen Sun, "Terahertz topological photonic waveguide switch for on-chip communication," Photonics Research 10 (4): 1090–1096, Apr. 2022.
- Fan Ye, Yue Yu, Xiang Xi, and Xiankai Sun, "Second-harmonic generation in etchless lithium niobate nanophotonic waveguides with bound states in the continuum," Laser & Photonics Reviews 16 (3): 2100429, Mar. 2022.
- Yuan Li and Xiankai Sun, "Anisotropic Dirac cone and slow edge states in a photonic Floquet lattice," Physical Review B 105 (1): 014306, Jan. 2022.
- Xiang Xi, Jingwen Ma, Zhong-Hao Zhou, Xin-Xin Hu, Yuan Chen, Chang-Ling Zou, Chun-Hua Dong, and Xiankai Sun, "Experimental investigation of the angular symmetry of optical force in a solid dielectric," Optica 8 (11): 1435–1441, Nov. 2021.
- Yue Yu, Lai Wang, and Xiankai Sun, "Demonstration of on-chip gigahertz acousto-optic modulation at near-visible wavelengths," Nanophotonics 10 (17): 4323–4329, Dec. 2021.
[included in Special Issue on Nonradiating Photonics with Resonant Dielectric Nanostructures]
- Zunyue Zhang, Yuan Li, Yi Wang, Zejie Yu, Xiankai Sun, and Hon Ki Tsang, "Compact high resolution speckle spectrometer by using linear coherent integrated network on silicon nitride platform at 776 nm," Laser & Photonics Reviews 15 (11): 2100039, Nov. 2021.
- Yue Yu, Zejie Yu, Lai Wang, and Xiankai Sun, "Ultralow-loss etchless lithium niobate integrated photonics at near-visible wavelengths," Advanced Optical Materials 9 (19): 2100060, Oct. 2021.
- Huade Mao, Yuxuan Ren, Yue Yu, Zejie Yu, Xiankai Sun, Shuang Zhang, and Kenneth K. Y. Wong, "Broadband meta-converters for multiple Laguerre-Gaussian modes," Photonics Research 9 (9): 1689–1698, Sep. 2021.
- Jingwen Ma, Xiang Xi, Yuan Li, and Xiankai Sun, “Nanomechanical topological insulators with an auxiliary orbital degree of freedom,” Nature Nanotechnology 16 (5): 576–583, May 2021. [reported in News & Views: “Topological vortices for sound and light,” Nature Nanotechnology 16 (5): 487–489, May 2021]
- Yang Liu, Lai Wang, Yuantao Zhang, Xin Dong, Xiankai Sun, Zhibiao Hao, Yi Luo, Changzheng Sun, Yanjun Han, Bing Xiong, Jian Wang, and Hongtao Li, “Demonstration of n-Ga2O3/p-GaN diodes by wet-etching lift-off and transfer-print technique,” IEEE Electron Device Letters 42 (4): 509–512, Apr. 2021.
- Zejie Yu and Xiankai Sun, “Gigahertz acousto-optic modulation and frequency shifting on etchless lithium niobate integrated platform,” ACS Photonics 8 (3): 798–803, Mar. 2021.
- Yi Wang, Zejie Yu, Zunyue Zhang, Xiankai Sun, and Hon Ki Tsang, “Fabrication-tolerant and low-loss hybrid plasmonic slot waveguide mode converter,” Journal of Lightwave Technology 39 (7): 2106–2112, Apr. 2021.
- Jingwen Ma, Xiang Xi, and Xiankai Sun, “Experimental demonstration of dual-band nano-electromechanical valley-Hall topological metamaterials,” Advanced Materials 33 (10): 2006521, Mar. 2021.
- Xiang Xi, Jingwen Ma, Shuai Wan, Chun-Hua Dong, and Xiankai Sun , “Observation of chiral edge states in gapped nanomechanical graphene,” Science Advances 7 (2): eabe1398, Jan. 2021.
- Zejie Yu and Xiankai Sun, “Inverse-designed photonic jumpers with ultracompact size and ultralow loss,“ Journal of Lightwave Technology 38 (23): 6623–6628, Dec. 2020.
- Yue Yu, Zejie Yu, and Xiankai Sun, “Nonmetallic broadband visible-light absorbers with polarization and incident angle insensitivity,” IEEE Photonics Journal 12 (6): 2200807, Dec. 2020.
- Yi Wang, Zejie Yu, Zunyue Zhang, Beilei Sun, Yeyu Tong, Jian-Bin Xu, Xiankai Sun, and Hon Ki Tsang, “Bound-states-in-continuum hybrid integration of 2D platinum diselenide on silicon nitride for high-speed photodetectors,” ACS Photonics 7 (10): 2643–2649, Oct. 2020.
- Taojie Zhou, Kar Wei Ng, Xiankai Sun, and Zhaoyu Zhang, “Ultra-thin curved microdisk lasers with high quality factor,” Nanophotonics 9 (9): 2997–3002, Jul. 2020.
- Ziyao Feng and Xiankai Sun, “Giant enhancement of rotation sensing with PT-symmetric circular Bragg lasers,” Physical Review Applied 13 (5): 054078, May 2020.
- Yi Wang, Zejie Yu, Yeyu Tong, Beilei Sun, Zunyue Zhang, Jian-Bin Xu, Xiankai Sun, and Hon Ki Tsang, “High-speed infrared two-dimensional platinum diselenide photodetectors,” Applied Physics Letters 116 (21): 211101, May 2020. [selected as Editor’s Pick]
- Zejie Yu, Yeyu Tong, Hon Ki Tsang, and Xiankai Sun, “High-dimensional communication on etchless lithium niobate platform with photonic bound states in the continuum,” Nature Communications 11: 2602, May 2020.
- Xiang Xi, Zefeng Chen, Jian-Bin Xu, and Xiankai Sun, “Graphene-assisted electro-optomechanical integration on a silicon-on-insulator platform,” Optics Express 28 (10): 14386–14395, May 2020.
- Zejie Yu and Xiankai Sun, “Acousto-optic modulation of photonic bound state in the continuum,” Light: Science & Applications 9: 1, Jan. 2020.
- Jingwen Ma, Ziyao Feng, Yuan Li, and Xiankai Sun, “Optically controlled topologically protected acoustic wave amplification,” IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics 26 (5): 7600410, Sep./Oct. 2020. [invited]
- Wen Zhou, Yeyu Tong, Xiankai Sun, and Hon Ki Tsang, “Ultra-broadband hyperuniform disordered silicon photonic polarizers,” IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics 26 (2): 8201109, Mar./Apr. 2020.