B.S. (USTC), M.S. & Ph.D. (Caltech)
Nanophotonics, Optomechanics, Optoelectronics, Photonic integrated circuits and devices, Nanofabrication
Resume of Career
Prof. Xiankai Sun received his Ph.D. degree in Applied Physics from California Institute of Technology in 2010. From 2010 to 2014, he was a Postdoctoral Associate and then an Associate Research Scientist in Department of Electrical Engineering at Yale University. Since 2014, he has been with Department of Electronic Engineering at The Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK), where he is currently an Associate Professor. Since 2021, he has been serving as an Associate Director for Centre of Optical Sciences at CUHK. He is an expert on chip-scale integrated photonic, electronic, and mechanical devices and systems. His current research focuses on novel photonic and optomechanical nanodevices for both fundamental research and practical applications.
Prof. Sun has published 77 peer-reviewed journal papers, 57 conference papers, 3 book chapters, and 1 book with a total citation of 2184 and the h-index of 25 (Google Scholar). He is currently an Associate Editor of Optics Express and an Editorial Board Member of Scientific Reports. He was a session organizer/chair/co-chair in the conferences PIERS 2016, IMCO 2018, IMCO 2019, PIERS 2021, and a technical committee member in the conference ACP 2018, ICOCN 2019, ACP 2020, CLEO 2020-2022, and AOPC 2021. He was an evaluator for judging the research and professional activities of the Institutes of the Czech Academy of Sciences. He was also an external reviewer of grant proposals for the Israel Science Foundation, the French National Research Agency, and the European Research Council. Prof. Sun received fellowships from many professional societies, including the IEEE Photonics Society, the Photonics Society of Chinese-Americans, and SPIE (the International Society for Optics and Photonics). He was recognized as a finalist of the prestigious Blavatnik Awards for Young Scientists in 2013 by New York Academy of Sciences for his contribution to “experimental research of nanoscale optomechanical systems.” He also received the Hong Kong Research Grants Council Early Career Award in 2015.
Current Research Interests
Nanophotonics, Optomechanics, Optoelectronics, Photonic integrated circuits and devices, Nanofabrication
Highlights of Recent Research Achievements
- First demonstration of a Si/InGaAsP hybrid laser
- Invention and demonstration of a supermode hybrid laser
- First demonstration of high-quality gigahertz optomechanical systems
- Demonstration of world’s smallest optomechanical system
- First demonstration of microwave-frequency optoelectromechanical systems
- Proposal of a hybrid graphene/silicon integrated optical isolator (selected as one of the world's 30 most clearly communicated breakthroughs in optics in 2016)
- Demonstration and application of bound states in the continuum in integrated photonics
- ENGG1100: Introduction to Engineering Design
- ENGG1310, ESTR2006: Engineering Physics
- BMEG4410: BioMEMS
- ELEG5550: Micro- and Nano-Fabrication Laboratory
Honors and Awards
- Early Career Award, Hong Kong Research Grants Council (2015)
- Finalist, Blavatnik Awards for Young Scientists, New York Academy of Sciences (2013)
- Bor-Uei Chen Memorial Scholarship Award, Photonics Society of Chinese-Americans (2010)
- SPIE Scholarship in Optical Science and Engineering (2009)
- IEEE Photonics Society Graduate Student Fellowship Award (2008)
- Li Ming Scholarship Award, Caltech (2008)
- Chinese Government Award for Outstanding Overseas Students (2008)
- Phi Tau Phi Scholarship, Phi Tau Phi Scholastic Honor Society of America (2007)
- CESASC Scholarship, Chinese-American Engineers and Scientists Association of Southern California (2006)
External Service in Recent 3 Years
- Associate Editor of Optics Express (2016–present)
- Editorial Board Member of Scientific Reports (2018–present)
- Organizer for session SC3: Integrated Lithium Niobate Photonics in the 2021 PhotonIcs and Electromagnetics Research Symposium (PIERS 2021), Hangzhou, China, 11/2021
- Technical committee member of S&I 9: Photonic Integration in the 2022 Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics (CLEO 2022), San Jose, CA, USA, 05/2022
- Technical committee member of Topic 7: Optoelectronic Devices and Integration in the 10th Applied Optics and Photonics China (AOPC 2021), Beijing China, 06/2021
- Technical committee member of S&I 9: Photonic Integration in the 2021 Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics (CLEO 2021), San Jose, CA, USA, 05/2021
- Technical committee member of Track 6: Micro-, Nano-, and Quantum Photonics: Science and Applications in the 2020 Asia Communications and Photonics Conference (ACP 2020), Beijing, China, 10/2020
- Technical committee member of S&I 9: Photonic Integration in the 2020 Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics (CLEO 2020), San Jose, CA, USA, 05/2020
- Technical committee member of Track 4: Optoelectronic Integration and Devices in the 2019 International Conference on Optical Communications and Networks (ICOCN 2019), Huangshan, China, 08/2019
- Co-chair for topical session Optical Devices in the 2019 International Multidisciplinary Conference on Optofluidics (IMCO Optofluidics 2019), Hong Kong, 06/2019
- Technical committee member of Track 4: Optoelectronic Devices and Integration in the 2018 Asia Communications and Photonics Conference (ACP 2018), Hangzhou, China, 10/2018
- Co-chair for topical session Optical Microcavity: From Sensing to Lasing in the 2018 International Multidisciplinary Conference on Optofluidics (IMCO Optofluidics 2018), Shanghai, China, 08/2018
- Organizer and chair for session SC3&2: Optical Forces and Optomechanics in the 2016 Progress In Electromagnetic Research Symposium (PIERS 2016), Shanghai, China, 08/2016
- External evaluator of doctoral theses for University of Science and Technology of China (2017)
- External reviewer of grant proposals for the French National Research Agency (2017)
- External evaluator for judging the research and professional activities of the Institutes of the Czech Academy of Sciences (2015)
- Invited journal reviewer for Nature Nanotechnology, Physical Review Letters, Physical Review Applied, Physical Review A, Physical Review B, Scientific Reports, IEEE Access, Applied Physics Letters, Journal of Applied Physics, Advanced Quantum Technologies, Sensors, Entropy, Applied Physics Express, Micromachines, Applied Physics B, AIP Advances, Light: Science & Applications, Laser & Photonics Reviews, Advanced Optical Materials, Advanced Photonics Research, Nanophotonics, ACS Photonics, Optics Letters, Optics Express, Journal of the Optical Society of America B, Journal of Lightwave Technology, IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics, IEEE Journal of Quantum Electronics, IEEE Photonics Journal, IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, Optical Fiber Technology, IET Optoelectronics, Optical and Quantum Electronics, Journal of Nanophotonics, Optical Engineering, Optical Review, Fiber and Integrated Optics
Publications for the Past 3 Years
77 refereed journal papers, 57 refereed conference papers, 13 invited conference talks, 1 book, 3 book chapters, total citations: 2184, h-index: 25 (Google Scholar, as of Sep. 2021). For a complete list of publications, please visit my Google Scholar profile at http://scholar.google.com.hk/citations?user=Z8CHWjsAAAAJ&hl=en.
- Yuan Li and Xiankai Sun, "Anisotropic Dirac cone and slow edge states in a photonic Floquet lattice," Physical Review B, 2021. (accepted)
- Xiang Xi, Jingwen Ma, Zhong-Hao Zhou, Xin-Xin Hu, Yuan Chen, Chang-Ling Zou, Chun-Hua Dong, and Xiankai Sun, "Experimental investigation of the angular symmetry of optical force in a solid dielectric," Optica, 2021. (accepted)
- Yue Yu, Lai Wang, and Xiankai Sun, "Demonstration of on-chip gigahertz acousto-optic modulation at near-visible wavelengths," Nanophotonics, Sep. 2021.
- Zunyue Zhang, Yuan Li, Yi Wang, Zejie Yu, Xiankai Sun, and Hon Ki Tsang, "Compact high resolution speckle spectrometer by using linear coherent integrated network on silicon nitride platform at 776 nm," Laser & Photonics Reviews 15: 2100039, Aug. 2021.
- Yue Yu, Zejie Yu, Lai Wang, and Xiankai Sun, "Ultralow-loss etchless lithium niobate integrated photonics at near-visible wavelengths," Advanced Optical Materials 9: 2100060, Aug. 2021.
- Huade Mao, Yuxuan Ren, Yue Yu, Zejie Yu, Xiankai Sun, Shuang Zhang, and Kenneth K. Y. Wong, "Broadband meta-converters for multiple Laguerre-Gaussian modes," Photonics Research 9 (9): 1689–1698, Sep. 2021.
- Jingwen Ma, Xiang Xi, Yuan Li, and Xiankai Sun, “Nanomechanical topological insulators with an auxiliary orbital degree of freedom,” Nature Nanotechnology 16 (5): 576–583, May 2021. [reported in News & Views: “Topological vortices for sound and light,” Nature Nanotechnology 16 (5): 487–489, May 2021]
- Yang Liu, Lai Wang, Yuantao Zhang, Xin Dong, Xiankai Sun, Zhibiao Hao, Yi Luo, Changzheng Sun, Yanjun Han, Bing Xiong, Jian Wang, and Hongtao Li, “Demonstration of n-Ga2O3/p-GaN diodes by wet-etching lift-off and transfer-print technique,” IEEE Electron Device Letters 42 (4): 509–512, Apr. 2021.
- Zejie Yu and Xiankai Sun, “Gigahertz acousto-optic modulation and frequency shifting on etchless lithium niobate integrated platform,” ACS Photonics 8 (3): 798–803, Mar. 2021.
- Yi Wang, Zejie Yu, Zunyue Zhang, Xiankai Sun, and Hon Ki Tsang, “Fabrication-tolerant and low-loss hybrid plasmonic slot waveguide mode converter,” Journal of Lightwave Technology 39 (7): 2106–2112, Apr. 2021.
- Jingwen Ma, Xiang Xi, and Xiankai Sun, “Experimental demonstration of dual-band nano-electromechanical valley-Hall topological metamaterials,” Advanced Materials 33 (10): 2006521, Mar. 2021.
- Xiang Xi, Jingwen Ma, Shuai Wan, Chun-Hua Dong, and Xiankai Sun , “Observation of chiral edge states in gapped nanomechanical graphene,” Science Advances 7 (2): eabe1398, Jan. 2021.
- Zejie Yu and Xiankai Sun, “Inverse-designed photonic jumpers with ultracompact size and ultralow loss,“ Journal of Lightwave Technology 38 (23): 6623–6628, Dec. 2020.
- Yue Yu, Zejie Yu, and Xiankai Sun, “Nonmetallic broadband visible-light absorbers with polarization and incident angle insensitivity,” IEEE Photonics Journal 12 (6): 2200807, Dec. 2020.
- Yi Wang, Zejie Yu, Zunyue Zhang, Beilei Sun, Yeyu Tong, Jian-Bin Xu, Xiankai Sun, and Hon Ki Tsang, “Bound-states-in-continuum hybrid integration of 2D platinum diselenide on silicon nitride for high-speed photodetectors,” ACS Photonics 7 (10): 2643–2649, Oct. 2020.
- Taojie Zhou, Kar Wei Ng, Xiankai Sun, and Zhaoyu Zhang, “Ultra-thin curved microdisk lasers with high quality factor,” Nanophotonics 9 (9): 2997–3002, Jul. 2020.
- Ziyao Feng and Xiankai Sun, “Giant enhancement of rotation sensing with PT-symmetric circular Bragg lasers,” Physical Review Applied 13 (5): 054078, May 2020.
- Yi Wang, Zejie Yu, Yeyu Tong, Beilei Sun, Zunyue Zhang, Jian-Bin Xu, Xiankai Sun, and Hon Ki Tsang, “High-speed infrared two-dimensional platinum diselenide photodetectors,” Applied Physics Letters 116 (21): 211101, May 2020. [selected as Editor’s Pick]
- Zejie Yu, Yeyu Tong, Hon Ki Tsang, and Xiankai Sun, “High-dimensional communication on etchless lithium niobate platform with photonic bound states in the continuum,” Nature Communications 11: 2602, May 2020.
- Xiang Xi, Zefeng Chen, Jian-Bin Xu, and Xiankai Sun, “Graphene-assisted electro-optomechanical integration on a silicon-on-insulator platform,” Optics Express 28 (10): 14386–14395, May 2020.
- Zejie Yu and Xiankai Sun, “Acousto-optic modulation of photonic bound state in the continuum,” Light: Science & Applications 9: 1, Jan. 2020.
- Jingwen Ma, Ziyao Feng, Yuan Li, and Xiankai Sun, “Optically controlled topologically protected acoustic wave amplification,” IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics 26 (5): 7600410, Sep./Oct. 2020. [invited]
- Aosong Feng, Zejie Yu, and Xiankai Sun, “Giant enhancement of nonlinear optical processes with split-ring resonators for THz applications,” IEEE Photonics Technology Letters 31 (21): 1681–1684, Nov. 2019.
- Wen Zhou, Yeyu Tong, Xiankai Sun, and Hon Ki Tsang, “Ultra-broadband hyperuniform disordered silicon photonic polarizers,” IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics 26 (2): 8201109, Mar./Apr. 2020.
- Jingwen Ma, Xiang Xi, and Xiankai Sun, “Topological photonic integrated circuits based on valley kink states,” Laser & Photonics Reviews 13 (12): 1900087, Dec. 2019. [featured as cover article]
- Zejie Yu, Yi Wang, Beilei Sun, Yeyu Tong, Jian-Bin Xu, Hon Ki Tsang, and Xiankai Sun, “Hybrid 2D-material photonics with bound states in the continuum,” Advanced Optical Materials 7 (24): 1901306, Dec. 2019.
- Zejie Yu, Xiang Xi, Jingwen Ma, Hon Ki Tsang, Chang-Ling Zou, and Xiankai Sun, “Photonic integrated circuits with bound states in the continuum,” Optica 6 (10): 1342–1348, Oct. 2019.
- Wen Zhou, Yeyu Tong, Xiankai Sun, and Hon Ki Tsang, “Hyperuniform disordered photonic bandgap polarizers,” Journal of Applied Physics 126 (11): 113106, Sep. 2019.
- Xiang Xi, Jingwen Ma, and Xiankai Sun, “Carrier-mediated cavity optomechanics in a semiconductor laser,” Physical Review A 99 (5): 053837, May 2019.
- Wen Zhou, Zhenzhou Cheng, Xia Chen, Ke Xu, Xiankai Sun, and HonKi Tsang, “Subwavelength engineering in silicon photonic devices,” IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics 25 (3): 2900113, May/Jun. 2019. [invited]
- Zejie Yu, Aosong Feng, Xiang Xi, and Xiankai Sun, “Inverse-designed low-loss and wideband polarization-insensitive silicon waveguide crossing,” Optics Letters 44 (1): 77–80, Jan. 2019. [Selected as Editor’s Pick]