B.S. (USTC), M.S. & Ph.D. (Caltech)
Nanophotonics, Optomechanics, Optoelectronics, Photonic integrated circuits and devices, Nanofabrication
Resume of Career
Prof. Xiankai Sun received his Ph.D. degree in Applied Physics from California Institute of Technology in 2010. From 2010 to 2014, he was a Postdoctoral Associate and then an Associate Research Scientist in Department of Electrical Engineering at Yale University. Since 2014, he has been with The Chinese University of Hong Kong, where he is currently an Associate Professor of Electronic Engineering and an Associate Director for Center of Optical Sciences. He is an expert on chip-scale integrated photonic, electronic, and mechanical devices and systems. His current research focuses on novel photonic and optomechanical nanodevices for both fundamental research and practical applications.
Prof. Sun has published 96 peer-reviewed journal papers, 71 conference papers, 3 book chapters, and 1 book with a total citation of 3217 and the h-index of 32 (Google Scholar). He is currently an Associate Editor for Optica and Journal of Lightwave Technology. He was a session organizer/chair/co-chair at the conferences PIERS 2016, 2021, IMCO 2018, 2019, and OGC 2022, and a technical committee member at the conferences ACP 2018, 2020, ICOCN 2019, CLEO 2020-2022, AOPC 2021, OCOIP 2023, MWP 2023, and WOMBAT. He was an evaluator for judging the research and professional activities of the Institutes of the Czech Academy of Sciences. He was also an external reviewer of grant proposals for the Israel Science Foundation, the French National Research Agency, and the European Research Council. Prof. Sun received fellowships from many professional societies, including the IEEE Photonics Society, the Photonics Society of Chinese-Americans, and SPIE (the International Society for Optics and Photonics). He was honored as a finalist of the Blavatnik Awards for Young Scientists by New York Academy of Sciences in 2013 for his contribution to “experimental research of nanoscale optomechanical systems.” He also received the Early Career Award 2015/16 and Research Fellow Scheme (RFS) Award 2023/24 from the Research Grants Council of Hong Kong.
Current Research Interests
Nanophotonics, Optomechanics, Optoelectronics, Photonic integrated circuits and devices, Nanofabrication
Highlights of Recent Research Achievements
- First demonstration of a Si/InGaAsP hybrid laser
- Invention and demonstration of a supermode hybrid laser
- First demonstration of high-quality gigahertz optomechanical systems
- Demonstration of world’s smallest optomechanical system
- First demonstration of microwave-frequency optoelectromechanical systems
- Proposal of a hybrid graphene/silicon integrated optical isolator (selected as one of the world's 30 most clearly communicated breakthroughs in optics in 2016)
- Demonstration and application of bound states in the continuum in integrated photonics
- ENGG1100: Introduction to Engineering Design
- ENGG1310, ESTR1003, ESTR2006: Engineering Physics
- BMEG4410: BioMEMS
- ELEG5550: Micro- and Nano-Fabrication Laboratory
Honors and Awards
- RGC Research Fellow, Research Grants Council of Hong Kong (2023)
- Early Career Award, Research Grants Council of Hong Kong (2015)
- Finalist, Blavatnik Awards for Young Scientists, New York Academy of Sciences (2013)
- Bor-Uei Chen Memorial Scholarship Award, Photonics Society of Chinese-Americans (2010)
- SPIE Scholarship in Optical Science and Engineering (2009)
- IEEE Photonics Society Graduate Student Fellowship Award (2008)
- Li Ming Scholarship Award, Caltech (2008)
- Chinese Government Award for Outstanding Overseas Students (2008)
- Phi Tau Phi Scholarship, Phi Tau Phi Scholastic Honor Society of America (2007)
- CESASC Scholarship, Chinese-American Engineers and Scientists Association of Southern California (2006)
External Service in Recent 3 Years
- Associate Editor of Optica (2022–present)
- Associate Editor of Journal of Lightwave Technology (2021–present)
- Editorial Board Member of Optical and Quantum Electronics (2022–present)
- Lead Guest Editor of Journal of the Optical Society of America B (2022–2023)
- Associate Editor of Optics Express (2016–2022)
- Editorial Board Member of Scientific Reports (2018–2022)
- Symposium chair for S6: Optoelectronic Devices and Applications at 2022 IEEE the 7th Optoelectronics Global Conference (OGC 2022), Shenzhen, China, 09/2022
- Organizer for session SC3: Integrated Lithium Niobate Photonics in the 2021 PhotonIcs and Electromagnetics Research Symposium (PIERS 2021), Hangzhou, China, 11/2021
- Technical committee member of S&I 9: Photonic Integration in the 2022 Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics (CLEO 2022), San Jose, CA, USA, 05/2022
- Technical committee member of Topic 7: Optoelectronic Devices and Integration in the 10th Applied Optics and Photonics China (AOPC 2021), Beijing China, 06/2021
- Technical committee member of S&I 9: Photonic Integration in the 2021 Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics (CLEO 2021), San Jose, CA, USA, 05/2021
- Technical committee member of Track 6: Micro-, Nano-, and Quantum Photonics: Science and Applications in the 2020 Asia Communications and Photonics Conference (ACP 2020), Beijing, China, 10/2020
- Technical committee member of S&I 9: Photonic Integration in the 2020 Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics (CLEO 2020), San Jose, CA, USA, 05/2020
- External examiner of PhD theses for The University of Hong Kong, 2023
- External assessor for Incubation Programs of the Hong Kong Science Technology Parks Corporation (2022–2024)
- External reviewer of graduate courses for The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shenzhen (2021, 2022)
- External examiner of PhD theses for The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shenzhen (2020)
- External reviewer of grant proposals for the Israel Science Foundation (2021, 2023)
- External reviewer of grant proposals for the European Research Council (2020)
- External evaluator for judging the research and professional activities of the Institutes of the Czech Academy of Sciences (2020)
- Invited journal reviewer for Nature Photonics, Nature Nanotechnology, Nature Communications, Science Advances, Advanced Materials, Light: Science & Applications, PhotoniX, Physical Review Letters, Laser & Photonics Reviews, Advanced Functional Materials, Advanced Optical Materials, Nanophotonics, ACS Photonics, APL Photonics, IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics, Journal of Lightwave Technology, Optics and Laser Technology, Optics Letters, Optics Express, Journal of the Optical Society of America B, IEEE Journal of Quantum Electronics, IEEE Photonics Journal, IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, Physical Review Applied, Physical Review A, Physical Review B, Applied Physics Reviews, Applied Physics Letters, Journal of Applied Physics, etc.
Publications for the Past 3 Years
96 refereed journal papers, 71 refereed conference papers, 18 invited conference talks, 1 book, 3 book chapters, total citations: 3217, h-index: 32 (Google Scholar, as of Jul. 2023). For a complete list of publications, please visit my Google Scholar profile at http://scholar.google.com.hk/citations?user=Z8CHWjsAAAAJ&hl=en.
- Yue Yu and Xiankai Sun, “Etchless photonic integrated circuits enabled by bound states in the continuum: tutorial,” Journal of the Optical Society of America B, 2023. [invited] (accepted)
- Zejie Yu, He Gao, Yi Wang, Yue Yu, Hon Ki Tsang, Xiankai Sun, and Daoxin Dai, “Fundamentals and applications of photonic waveguides with bound states in the continuum,” Journal of Semiconductors, 2023. (accepted)
- Ziyao Feng, Yang Liu, Xiang Xi, Lai Wang, and Xiankai Sun, “Gigahertz phononic integrated circuits based on overlay slot waveguides,” Physical Review Applied 19 (6): 064076, Jun. 2023.
- Xuetong Zhou, Ying Xue, Fan Ye, Ziyao Feng, Yuan Li, Xiankai Sun, Kei May Lau, and Hon Ki Tsang, “High coupling efficiency waveguide grating couplers on lithium niobate,” Optics Letters 48 (12): 3267–3270, Jun. 2023.
- Ziyao Feng and Xiankai Sun, “Experimental observation of dissipatively coupled bound states in the continuum on an integrated photonic platform,” Laser & Photonics Reviews 17 (7): 2200961, Jul. 2023.
- Xiankai Sun, Zejie Yu, Mengjie Yu, and Hong X. Tang, “Integrated lithium niobate photonics: introduction,” Journal of the Optical Society of America B 40 (5): ILN1–ILN2, May 2023.
- Xiao-Jing Liu, Yue Yu, Di Liu, Qi-Long Cui, Xiaozhuo Qi, Yang Chen, Guangyuan Qu, Li Song, Guo-Ping Guo, Guang-Can Guo, Xiankai Sun, and Xi-Feng Ren, “Coupling of photon emitters in monolayer WS2 with a photonic waveguide based on bound states in the continuum,” Nano Letters 23 (8): 3209–3216, Apr. 2023.
- Mingzeng Peng, Jiadong Cheng, Xinhe Zheng, Jingwen Ma, Ziyao Feng, and Xiankai Sun, “2D-materials-integrated optoelectromechanics: recent progress and future perspectives,” Reports on Progress in Physics 86 (2): 026402, Feb. 2023.
- Yuan Li, Zunyue Zhang, Yi Wang, Yue Yu, Xuetong Zhou, Hon Ki Tsang, and Xiankai Sun, “Inverse-designed linear coherent photonic networks for high-resolution spectral reconstruction,” ACS Photonics 10 (4): 1012–1018, Apr. 2023. [featured as cover article]
[included in Special Issue on Optimized Photonics and Inverse Design]
- Ziyao Feng and Xiankai Sun, “Harnessing dynamical encircling of an exceptional point in anti-PT-symmetric integrated photonic systems,” Physical Review Letters 129 (27): 273601, Dec. 2022.
- Taojie Zhou, Jingwen Ma, Mingchu Tang, Haochuan Li, Mickael Martin, Thierry Baron, Huiyun Liu, Siming Chen, Xiankai Sun, and Zhaoyu Zhang, “Monolithically integrated ultralow threshold topological corner state nanolasers on silicon,” ACS Photonics 9 (12): 3824–3830, Dec. 2022.
- Jiawei Zhang, Ziyao Feng, and Xiankai Sun, “Realization of bound states in the continuum in anti-PT-symmetric optical systems: a proposal and analysis,” Laser & Photonics Reviews 17 (1): 2200079, Jan. 2023.
- Yue Yu, Xiang Xi, and Xiankai Sun, “Observation of mechanical bound states in the continuum in an optomechanical microresonator,” Light: Science & Applications 11: 328, Nov. 2022.
- Xiang Xi, Chang-Ling Zou, Chun-Hua Dong, and Xiankai Sun, “Highly tunable broadband coherent wavelength conversion with a fiber-based optomechanical system,” Advanced Photonics 4 (5): 056003, Sep. 2022. [featured as cover article]
- Yue Yu, Zejie Yu, Zunyue Zhang, Hon Ki Tsang, and Xiankai Sun, “Wavelength-division multiplexing on an etchless lithium niobate integrated platform,” ACS Photonics 9 (10): 3253–3259, Oct. 2022.
- Huade Mao, Yue Yu, Yu-Xuan Ren, Ka Yan Chan, Jiqiang Kang, Xiankai Sun, Edmund Y. Lam, and Kenneth K. Y. Wong, “Neural optimizer for inverse design of complex-modulated hologram implemented by plasmonic metasurfaces,” Advanced Photonics Research 4 (1): 2200085, Jan. 2023.
- Fan Ye and Xiankai Sun, “Hofstadter butterfly and topological edge states in a quasiperiodic photonic crystal cavity array,” Optics Express 30 (15): 26620–26627, Jul. 2022.
- Xudong Liu, Jialiang Huang, Hao Chen, Zhengfang Qian, Jingwen Ma, Xiankai Sun, Shuting Fan, and Yiwen Sun, "Terahertz topological photonic waveguide switch for on-chip communication," Photonics Research 10 (4): 1090–1096, Apr. 2022.
- Fan Ye, Yue Yu, Xiang Xi, and Xiankai Sun, "Second-harmonic generation in etchless lithium niobate nanophotonic waveguides with bound states in the continuum," Laser & Photonics Reviews 16 (3): 2100429, Mar. 2022.
- Yuan Li and Xiankai Sun, "Anisotropic Dirac cone and slow edge states in a photonic Floquet lattice," Physical Review B 105 (1): 014306, Jan. 2022.
- Xiang Xi, Jingwen Ma, Zhong-Hao Zhou, Xin-Xin Hu, Yuan Chen, Chang-Ling Zou, Chun-Hua Dong, and Xiankai Sun, "Experimental investigation of the angular symmetry of optical force in a solid dielectric," Optica 8 (11): 1435–1441, Nov. 2021.
- Yue Yu, Lai Wang, and Xiankai Sun, "Demonstration of on-chip gigahertz acousto-optic modulation at near-visible wavelengths," Nanophotonics 10 (17): 4323–4329, Dec. 2021.
[included in Special Issue on Nonradiating Photonics with Resonant Dielectric Nanostructures]
- Zunyue Zhang, Yuan Li, Yi Wang, Zejie Yu, Xiankai Sun, and Hon Ki Tsang, "Compact high resolution speckle spectrometer by using linear coherent integrated network on silicon nitride platform at 776 nm," Laser & Photonics Reviews 15 (11): 2100039, Nov. 2021.
- Yue Yu, Zejie Yu, Lai Wang, and Xiankai Sun, "Ultralow-loss etchless lithium niobate integrated photonics at near-visible wavelengths," Advanced Optical Materials 9 (19): 2100060, Oct. 2021.
- Huade Mao, Yuxuan Ren, Yue Yu, Zejie Yu, Xiankai Sun, Shuang Zhang, and Kenneth K. Y. Wong, "Broadband meta-converters for multiple Laguerre-Gaussian modes," Photonics Research 9 (9): 1689–1698, Sep. 2021.
- Jingwen Ma, Xiang Xi, Yuan Li, and Xiankai Sun, “Nanomechanical topological insulators with an auxiliary orbital degree of freedom,” Nature Nanotechnology 16 (5): 576–583, May 2021. [reported in News & Views: “Topological vortices for sound and light,” Nature Nanotechnology 16 (5): 487–489, May 2021]
- Yang Liu, Lai Wang, Yuantao Zhang, Xin Dong, Xiankai Sun, Zhibiao Hao, Yi Luo, Changzheng Sun, Yanjun Han, Bing Xiong, Jian Wang, and Hongtao Li, “Demonstration of n-Ga2O3/p-GaN diodes by wet-etching lift-off and transfer-print technique,” IEEE Electron Device Letters 42 (4): 509–512, Apr. 2021.
- Zejie Yu and Xiankai Sun, “Gigahertz acousto-optic modulation and frequency shifting on etchless lithium niobate integrated platform,” ACS Photonics 8 (3): 798–803, Mar. 2021.
- Yi Wang, Zejie Yu, Zunyue Zhang, Xiankai Sun, and Hon Ki Tsang, “Fabrication-tolerant and low-loss hybrid plasmonic slot waveguide mode converter,” Journal of Lightwave Technology 39 (7): 2106–2112, Apr. 2021.
- Jingwen Ma, Xiang Xi, and Xiankai Sun, “Experimental demonstration of dual-band nano-electromechanical valley-Hall topological metamaterials,” Advanced Materials 33 (10): 2006521, Mar. 2021.
- Xiang Xi, Jingwen Ma, Shuai Wan, Chun-Hua Dong, and Xiankai Sun , “Observation of chiral edge states in gapped nanomechanical graphene,” Science Advances 7 (2): eabe1398, Jan. 2021.