B.S. (USTC), M.S. & Ph.D. (Caltech)
Nanophotonics, Optomechanics, Optoelectronics, Photonic integrated circuits and devices, Nanofabrication
Resume of Career
Prof. Xiankai Sun received his Ph.D. degree in Applied Physics from California Institute of Technology in 2010. From 2010 to 2014, he was a Postdoctoral Associate and then an Associate Research Scientist in Department of Electrical Engineering at Yale University. In 2014, he joined Department of Electronic Engineering at The Chinese University of Hong Kong, where he is currently an Associate Professor. He is an expert on chip-scale integrated photonic, electronic, and mechanical devices and systems. His current research focuses on novel photonic and optomechanical nanodevices for both fundamental research and practical applications.
Prof. Sun has published 63 peer-reviewed journal papers, 49 conference papers, 3 book chapters, and 1 book with a total citation of 1722 and the h-index of 20 (Google Scholar). He is currently an Associate Editor of Optics Express and an Editorial Board Member of Scientific Reports. He was a session organizer/chair/co-chair in the conferences PIERS 2016, IMCO 2018, IMCO 2019 and a technical committee member in the conference ACP 2018, ICOCN 2019, ACP 2020, CLEO 2020, and CELO 2021. He was an evaluator for judging the research and professional activities of the Institutes of the Czech Academy of Sciences. He was also an external reviewer of grant proposals for the French National Research Agency and the European Research Council. Prof. Sun received fellowships from many professional societies, including the IEEE Photonics Society, the Photonics Society of Chinese-Americans, and SPIE (the International Society for Optics and Photonics). He was recognized as a finalist of the prestigious Blavatnik Awards for Young Scientists in 2013 by New York Academy of Sciences for his contribution to “experimental research of nanoscale optomechanical systems.” He also received the Hong Kong Research Grants Council Early Career Award in 2015.
Current Research Interests
Nanophotonics, Optomechanics, Optoelectronics, Photonic integrated circuits and devices, Nanofabrication
Highlights of Recent Research Achievements
- First demonstration of a Si/InGaAsP hybrid laser
- Invention and demonstration of a supermode hybrid laser
- First demonstration of high-quality gigahertz optomechanical systems
- Demonstration of world’s smallest optomechanical system
- First demonstration of microwave-frequency optoelectromechanical systems
- Proposal of a hybrid graphene/silicon integrated optical isolator (selected as one of the world's 30 most clearly communicated breakthroughs in optics in 2016)
- Demonstration and application of bound states in the continuum in integrated photonics
- ENGG1100: Introduction to Engineering Design
- ENGG1310, ESTR2006: Engineering Physics
- BMEG4410: BioMEMS
- ELEG5550: Micro- and Nano-Fabrication Laboratory
Honors and Awards
- Early Career Award, Hong Kong Research Grants Council (2015)
- Finalist, Blavatnik Awards for Young Scientists, New York Academy of Sciences (2013)
- Bor-Uei Chen Memorial Scholarship Award, Photonics Society of Chinese-Americans (2010)
- SPIE Scholarship in Optical Science and Engineering (2009)
- IEEE Photonics Society Graduate Student Fellowship Award (2008)
- Li Ming Scholarship Award, Caltech (2008)
- Chinese Government Award for Outstanding Overseas Students (2008)
- Phi Tau Phi Scholarship, Phi Tau Phi Scholastic Honor Society of America (2007)
- CESASC Scholarship, Chinese-American Engineers and Scientists Association of Southern California (2006)
External Service in Recent 3 Years
- Associate Editor of Optics Express (2016–present)
- Editorial Board Member of Scientific Reports (2018–present)
- Technical committee member of S&I 9: Photonic Integration in the 2021 Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics (CLEO 2021), San Jose, CA, USA, 05/2021
- Technical committee member of Track 6: Micro-, Nano-, and Quantum Photonics: Science and Applications in the 2020 Asia Communications and Photonics Conference (ACP 2020), Beijing, China, 10/2020
- Technical committee member of S&I 9: Photonic Integration in the 2020 Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics (CLEO 2020), San Jose, CA, USA, 05/2020
- Technical committee member of Track 4: Optoelectronic Integration and Devices in the 2019 International Conference on Optical Communications and Networks (ICOCN 2019), Huangshan, China, 08/2019
- Co-chair for topical session Optical Devices in the 2019 International Multidisciplinary Conference on Optofluidics (IMCO Optofluidics 2019), Hong Kong, 06/2019
- Technical committee member of Track 4: Optoelectronic Devices and Integration in the 2018 Asia Communications and Photonics Conference (ACP 2018), Hangzhou, China, 10/2018
- Co-chair for topical session Optical Microcavity: From Sensing to Lasing in the 2018 International Multidisciplinary Conference on Optofluidics (IMCO Optofluidics 2018), Shanghai, China, 08/2018
- Organizer and chair for session SC3&2: Optical Forces and Optomechanics in the 2016 Progress In Electromagnetic Research Symposium (PIERS 2016), Shanghai, China, 08/2016
- External evaluator of doctoral theses for University of Science and Technology of China (2017)
- External reviewer of grant proposals for the French National Research Agency (2017)
- External evaluator for judging the research and professional activities of the Institutes of the Czech Academy of Sciences (2015)
- Invited journal reviewer for Physical Review Letters, Physical Review Applied, Physical Review A, Physical Review B, Scientific Reports, IEEE Access, Applied Physics Letters, Journal of Applied Physics, Advanced Quantum Technologies, Sensors, Entropy, Applied Physics Express, Micromachines, Applied Physics B, AIP Advances, Light: Science & Applications, Advanced Optical Materials, Nanophotonics, Optics Letters, Optics Express, Journal of the Optical Society of America B, Journal of Lightwave Technology, IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics, IEEE Journal of Quantum Electronics, IEEE Photonics Journal, IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, Optical Fiber Technology, IET Optoelectronics, Optical and Quantum Electronics, Journal of Nanophotonics, Optical Engineering, Fiber and Integrated Optics, Journal of Optical Communications
Publications for the Past 3 Years
63 refereed journal papers, 49 refereed conference papers, 10 invited conference talks, 1 book, 3 book chapters, total citations: 1722, h-index: 20 (Google Scholar, as of Aug. 2020). For a complete list of publications, please visit my Google Scholar profile at http://scholar.google.com.hk/citations?user=Z8CHWjsAAAAJ&hl=en.
- Zejie Yu and Xiankai Sun, “Inverse-designed photonic jumpers with ultracompact size and ultralow loss,” Journal of Lightwave Technology, 2020. (accepted)
- Taojie Zhou, Kar Wei Ng, Xiankai Sun, and Zhaoyu Zhang, “Ultra-thin curved microdisk lasers with high quality factor,” Nanophotonics 9 (9): 2997–3002, Jul. 2020.
- Ziyao Feng and Xiankai Sun, “Giant enhancement of rotation sensing with PT-symmetric circular Bragg lasers,” Physical Review Applied 13 (5): 054078, May 2020.
- Yi Wang, Zejie Yu, Yeyu Tong, Beilei Sun, Zunyue Zhang, Jian-Bin Xu, Xiankai Sun, and Hon Ki Tsang, “High-speed infrared two-dimensional platinum diselenide photodetectors,” Applied Physics Letters 116 (21): 211101, May 2020. [selected as Editor’s Pick]
- Zejie Yu, Yeyu Tong, Hon Ki Tsang, and Xiankai Sun, “High-dimensional communication on etchless lithium niobate platform with photonic bound states in the continuum,” Nature Communications 11: 2602, May 2020.
- Xiang Xi, Zefeng Chen, Jian-Bin Xu, and Xiankai Sun, “Graphene-assisted electro-optomechanical integration on a silicon-on-insulator platform,” Optics Express 28 (10): 14386–14395, May 2020.
- Zejie Yu and Xiankai Sun, “Acousto-optic modulation of photonic bound state in the continuum,” Light: Science & Applications 9: 1, Jan. 2020.
- Jingwen Ma, Ziyao Feng, Yuan Li, and Xiankai Sun, “Optically controlled topologically protected acoustic wave amplification,” IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics 26 (5): 7600410, Sep./Oct. 2020. [invited]
- Aosong Feng, Zejie Yu, and Xiankai Sun, “Giant enhancement of nonlinear optical processes with split-ring resonators for THz applications,” IEEE Photonics Technology Letters 31 (21): 1681–1684, Nov. 2019.
- Wen Zhou, Yeyu Tong, Xiankai Sun, and Hon Ki Tsang, “Ultra-broadband hyperuniform disordered silicon photonic polarizers,” IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics 26 (2): 8201109, Mar./Apr. 2020.
- Jingwen Ma, Xiang Xi, and Xiankai Sun, “Topological photonic integrated circuits based on valley kink states,” Laser & Photonics Reviews 13 (12): 1900087, Dec. 2019. [featured as cover article]
- Zejie Yu, Yi Wang, Beilei Sun, Yeyu Tong, Jian-Bin Xu, Hon Ki Tsang, and Xiankai Sun, “Hybrid 2D-material photonics with bound states in the continuum,” Advanced Optical Materials 7 (24): 1901306, Dec. 2019.
- Zejie Yu, Xiang Xi, Jingwen Ma, Hon Ki Tsang, Chang-Ling Zou, and Xiankai Sun, “Photonic integrated circuits with bound states in the continuum,” Optica 6 (10): 1342–1348, Oct. 2019.
- Wen Zhou, Yeyu Tong, Xiankai Sun, and Hon Ki Tsang, “Hyperuniform disordered photonic bandgap polarizers,” Journal of Applied Physics 126 (11): 113106, Sep. 2019.
- Xiang Xi, Jingwen Ma, and Xiankai Sun, “Carrier-mediated cavity optomechanics in a semiconductor laser,” Physical Review A 99 (5): 053837, May 2019.
- Wen Zhou, Zhenzhou Cheng, Xia Chen, Ke Xu, Xiankai Sun, and HonKi Tsang, “Subwavelength engineering in silicon photonic devices,” IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics 25 (3): 2900113, May/Jun. 2019. [invited]
- Zejie Yu, Aosong Feng, Xiang Xi, and Xiankai Sun, “Inverse-designed low-loss and wideband polarization-insensitive silicon waveguide crossing,” Optics Letters 44 (1): 77–80, Jan. 2019. [Selected as Editor’s Pick]
- Aosong Feng, Zejie Yu, and Xiankai Sun, “Ultranarrow-band metagrating absorbers for sensing and modulation,” Optics Express 26 (22): 28197–28205, Oct. 2018.
- Zejie Yu, Yang Ma, and Xiankai Sun, “Photonic welding points for arbitrary on-chip optical interconnects,” Nanophotonics 7 (10): 1679–1686, Oct. 2018.
- Ziyao Feng, Jingwen Ma, and Xiankai Sun, “Parity–time-symmetric mechanical systems by the cavity optomechanical effect,” Optics Letters 43 (17): 4088–4091, Sep. 2018.
- Wen Zhou, Zhenzhou Cheng, Xiankai Sun, and Hon Ki Tsang, “Tailorable dual-wavelength-band coupling in a transverse-electric-mode focusing subwavelength grating coupler,” Optics Letters 43 (12): 2985-2988, Jun. 2018.
- Ziyao Feng, Jingwen Ma, Zejie Yu, and Xiankai Sun, “Circular Bragg lasers with radial PT symmetry: design and analysis with a coupled-mode approach,” Photonics Research 6 (5): A38-A42, May 2018. [Included in Virtual Feature Issue on Non-Hermitian Photonics in Complex Media: PT-symmetry and beyond]
- Wen Zhou, Zhenzhou Cheng, Xinru Wu, Xiankai Sun, and Hon Ki Tsang, “Fully suspended slot waveguide platform,” Journal of Applied Physics 123 (6): 063103, Feb. 2018.
- Zejie Yu and Xiankai Sun, “Giant enhancement of stimulated Brillouin scattering with engineered phoxonic crystal waveguides,” Optics Express 26 (2): 1255-1267, Jan. 2018.