B.Eng. (UESTC, China), Ph.D. (Cambridge, UK)
Low-dimensional nanomaterials; Printed electronics; Wearable and flexible electronics; Sensors
Resume of Career
Prof. Guohua Hu joined the Department of Electronic Engineering at The Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK) as an Assistant Professor in June 2019. He received his PhD degree in Engineering from the University of Cambridge in 2018. His major research topics during PhD included high-speed printing of graphene electronics, CMOS integration of printed graphene for sensing, and printed 2d material based nonlinear optical devices and photodetectors. His PhD thesis title was Printable 2D Material Optoelectronics and Photonics. During 2017-2019, he was a Research Associate at the Cambridge Graphene Centre, working on printable graphene/metal oxide gas sensors through Newton Fund, InnovateUK. Prior to PhD, he received his BEng degree in Solid-State Electronics from University of Electronic Science and Technology of China in 2013. His current research interest at CUHK is solution-processing and functionalisation of low-dimensional nanomaterials for printed electronics, with particular focus on electronic skins, flexible and wearable electronics, bioelectronics, photonics, sensing and energy.
Prof. Hu has authored/co-authored 22 peer-reviewed journal papers, 1 research book and 1 patent, with a total citation of >1,400 and an h-index of 17 (Google Scholar; Sept., 2019).
Peer-reviewed journal papers
- X. Feng, Y. Li, L. Wang, S. Chen, Z. G. Yu, W. C. Tan, N. Macadam, G. Hu, L. Huang, L. Chen, X. Gong, D. Chi, T. Hasan, A. V.-Y. Thean, Y.-W. Zhang, K.-W. Ang, A fully printed flexible MoS2 memristive artificial synapse with femto joules switching energy, Advanced Electronic Materials (2019).
- L. W. T. Ng, X. Zhu, G. Hu, N. Macadam, D. Um, T. -C. Wu, F. L. Moal, C. Jones and T. Hasan, Conformal printing of graphene for single‐and multilayered devices onto arbitrarily shaped 3D surfaces, Optics Express, 27, 15032-15045 (2019).
- R. I. Woodward, M. R. Majewski, N. Macadam, G. Hu, T. Albrow-Owen, T. Hasan and S. D. Jackson, Q-switched Dy: ZBLAN fiber lasers beyond 3 μm: Comparison of pulse generation using acousto-optic modulation and inkjet-printed black phosphorus, Optics Express, 27, 15032-15045 (2019).
- G. Hu, J. Kang, L. W. T. Ng, X. Zhu, R. C. T. Howe, M. Hersam and T. Hasan, Functional inks and printing of two-dimensional materials, Chemical Society Reviews, 47, 3265-3300 (2018).
- X. Jin, G. Hu (co-first author), M. Zhang, Y. Hu, T. Albrow-Owen, R. C. T. Howe, T.-C. Wu, Q. Wu, Z. Zheng and T. Hasan, 102 fs pulse generation from a long-term stable, inkjet-printed black phosphorus-mode-locked fiber laser, Optics Express, 26, 12506-12513 (2018).
- X. Wang, Z. Wang, J. Zhang, X. Wang, Z. Zhang, J. Wang, Z. Zhu, Z. Li, Y. Liu, X. Hu, J. Qiu, G. Hu, B. Chen, N. Wang, Q. He, J. Chen, J. Yan, W. Zhang, T. Hasan, S. Li, H. Li, H. Zhang, Q.Wang, X. Huang and W. Huang, Realization of vertical metal/semiconductor heterostructures via solution-phase epitaxy, Nature Communications, 9, 3611 (2018).
- T. Juntunen, H. Jussila, M. Ruoho, S. Liu, G. Hu, T. Albrow-Owen, L. W. T. Ng, R. C. T. Howe, T. Hasan, Z. Sun and I. Tittonen, Inkjet printed large-area flexible graphene thermoelectrics, Advanced Functional Materials 1800480 (2018).
- D. Li, H. Jussila, Y. Wang, G. Hu, T. Albrow-Owen, R. C. T. Howe, Z. Ren, J. Bai, T. Hasan and Z. Sun, Wavelength and pulse duration tunable ultrafast fiber laser mode-locked with carbon nanotubes, Scientific Reports 8, 2738 (2018).
- G. Hu, T. Albrow-Owen, X. Jin, A. Ali, Y. Hu, R. C. T. Howe, K. Shehzad, Z. Yang, X. Zhu, R. I. Woodward, T-C. Wu, H. Jussila, J-B., P. Peng, P. Tan, Z. Sun, E. J. R. Kelleher, M. Zhang, Y. Xu and T. Hasan, Black phosphorus ink formulation for inkjet printing of optoelectronics and photonics, Nature Communications 8, 278 (2017).
- J. Wang, S. Lin, X. Liang, M. Wang, P. Yan, G. Hu, T. Albrow-Owen, S. Ruan, Z. Sun and T. Hasan, High-energy and efficient Raman soliton generation tunable from 1.98 to 2.29 µm in an all-silica-fiber thulium laser system, Optics Letters 42, 3518-3521 (2017).
- H. Jussila, T. Albrow-Owen, H. Yang, G. Hu, S. Aksimsek, N. Granqvist, H. Lipsanen, R. C. T. Howe, Z. Sun and T. Hasan, New approach for thickness determination of solution-deposited graphene thin films, ACS Omega 2, 2630 (2017).
- M. Chernysheva, A. Bednyakova, M. Al Araimi, R. C. T. Howe, G. Hu, T. Hasan, A. Gambetta, G. Galzerano, M. Rümmeli and A. Rozhin, Double-wall carbon nanotube hybrid mode-locker in Tm-doped fibre laser: A novel mechanism for robust bound- state solitons generation, Scientific Reports 7, 44314 (2017).
- D. Dodoo-Arhin, R. C. T. Howe, G. Hu, P. Hiralal, G. Amaratunga, A. Bello, Y. Xua and T. Hasan, Inkjet-printed graphene electrodes for dye-sensitized solar cells, Carbon 105, 33-41(2016).
- J. Wang, X. Liang, G. Hu, Z. Zheng, S. Lin, D. Ouyang, X. Wu, P. Yan, S. Ruan, Z. Sun and T. Hasan, 152 fs nanotube-mode-locked thulium-doped all-fiber laser, Scientific Reports 6, 28885 (2016).
- S. Xu, F. Wang, C. Zhu, Y. Meng, Y. Liu, W. Liu, J. Tang, K. Liu, G. Hu, R. C. T. Howe, T. Hasan, R. Zhang, Y. Shi, Y. Xu, Ultrafast nonlinear photoresponse of single-wall carbon nanotubes: A broadband degenerate investigation, Nanoscale 8, 9304-9309 (2016).
- R. C. T. Howe, R. I. Woodward, G. Hu, Z. Yang, E. J. R. Kelleher and T. Hasan, Surfactant-aided exfoliation of molybdenum disulphide for ultrafast pulse generation through edge-state saturable absorption, Physica Status Solidi (B) 5, 911–917 (2016).
- S. Santra, G. Hu (co-first author), R. C. T. Howe, A. D. Luca, S. Z. Ali, S. K. Ray, F. Udrea, J. W. Gardner, P. K. Guha and T. Hasan, CMOS integration of graphene for humidity sensing, Scientific Reports 5, 17374 (2015).
- M. Zhang, G. Hu (co-first author), G. Hu, R. C. T. Howe, L. Chen, Z. Zheng and T. Hasan, Yb- and Er-doped fiber laser Q-switched with a broadband WS2 saturable absorber, Scientific Reports 5, 17482 (2015).
- R. I. Woodward, R. C. T. Howe, G. Hu, F. Torrisi, M. Zhang, T. Hasan and E. J. R. Kelleher, Few-layer MoS2 saturable absorbers for short-pulse laser technology: Current status and future perspectives (invited paper), Photonics Research 3, A30- A42 (2015). Awarded with “Editor-in-Chief Choice” as a highest ranked paper of 2015
- R. I. Woodward, R. C. T. Howe, T. H. Runcorn, G. Hu, F. Torrisi, E. J. R. Kelleher and T. Hasan, Wideband saturable absorption in few-layer molybdenum diselenide (MoSe2) for Q-switching Yb-, Er- and Tm-doped fiber lasers, Optics Express 23, 20051-20061 (2015).
- M. Zhang, R. C. T. Howe, R. I. Woodward, E. J. R. Kelleher, F. Torrisi, G. Hu, S. V. Popov, J. R. Taylor and T. Hasan, Solution processed MoS2-PVA composite for sub- bandgap mode-locking of a wideband tunable ultrafast er:fiber laser, Nano Research 8, 1522-1534 (2015). Awarded as a best paper of 2017
- R. I. Woodward, E. J. R. Kelleher, R. C. T. Howe, G. Hu, F. Torrisi, T. Hasan, S. V. Popov and J. R. Taylor, Tunable Q-switched fiber laser based on saturable edge-state absorption in few-layer molybdenum disulfide (MoS2), Optics Express 22, 31113- 31122 (2014).
- L. W. T. Ng, G. Hu, R. C. T. Howe, X. Zhu, Z. Yang, C. Jones and T. Hasan, Functional Inks and Printing of Graphene and Related 2D Materials: Technology, Formulation and Applications, Springer, New York, USA (2018).
- G. Hu, R. C. T. Howe, Z. Yang, L. Ng, C. Jones, K. Stone and T. Hasan, Nanoplatelet dispersions, methods for their production and uses thereof, WO2017013263 A1, filed on 22.07.2015 and published on 26.01.2017.