B.Sc.(London), Ph.D. (London), Sr.MIEEE, MIET, CEng (IEE)
RFIC/MMIC design, Microwave power amplifier design, Advanced designs of microwave circuits for multi-band and re-configurable system applications
Resume of Career
Michael obtained both his B.Sc. (1st class honor) and Ph.D. degree in Electronic Engineering from King's College, University of London, United Kingdom. He was awarded the Siemens Prize, IEE Prize, and Convocation Susquicentennial Prize in Engineering (University of London) in 1986, 1987 and 1988, respectively, for his academic achievements.
He joined the Department of Electronic Engineering at the Chinese University of Hong Kong as Assistant Professor in 1996 and became Full Professor in 2006. He was appointed as the Associate Dean of Engineering (Student Affairs) in 2004-2006. In 2008-2012, he served as Associate Editor of IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters. In 2018-19, he was the Associate Editor of IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory & Techniques.
He is the first/second author of more than 50 IEEE journal articles and with a citation index of over 2,000 (self-citing excluded). He is also a contributing author of two book chapters: "MMIC Design" and "RFIC & MMIC design and technology", published by the IET in 1995 and 2001, respectively.
Michael is the recipients of the Faculty Service Award (Engineering) in 2007 and 2016, Dean's Exemplary Teaching Award in 2017 and Vice-Chancellor's Exemplary Teaching Award in 2018.
Current Research Interests
RFIC/MMIC design, High efficiency power amplifier design, Linearization techniques, Re-configurable microwave devices, MIMO antenna design
Highlights of Recent Achievements
- Pioneering work on the development of advanced microwave passive devices for multi-band applications
- Pioneering work on the development of multi-function and reconfigurable devices for adaptive microwave systems
- Pioneering work on the development of GaN power amplifier architectures for broadband, high-efficiency and high linearity operation
Taught Courses (past 3 years)
- Electronic Product Design & Development
- Antennas and Wave Propagation for Wireless Communications
- RF Circuits and Systems
External Professional Service
- Panel Member (Engineering), Research Grants Council (2016 - 2021)
- ESS Assessment Panel Member, ITC, Government of the HKSAR (2021 -2023)
- Member, Appeal Board Panel (Electricity Ordinance), Government of the HKSAR (2019 -)
- Regular Reviewer: IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory & Techniques, IEEE Transactions on Circuits & Systems: I & II, IEEE Microwave & Wireless Technology Letters
External Research Grants Awarded (Past 6 years)
- RGC/GRF (PI): "Broadband High Efficiency Doherty Power Amplifier Design for Advanced Wireless Systems".
- RGC/GRF (PI): "Pattern-Reconfigurable High-isolation MIMO Antenna Design for Wireless Handheld Terminals".
- RGC/GRF (PI): "Self-Linearizing Techniques for Advanced Design of High-Efficiency Doherty Microwave Power Amplifier".
Publications (past 4 Years)
- Shi J., Fang X., Wei C., Lin T., Zhao L., and Cheng, K.-K. M., “Design of a Highly Efficient Class-F GaN MMIC Power Amplifier using a Multi-Function Bias Network and a harmonic-isolation L-C Resonator,” IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems-I: Regular Papers, (Early Access), Sept. 2023.
- Shi J., Fang X., Yu H., Sui J., and Cheng, K.-K.M., “Novel Wideband Millimeter-wave GaN Power Amplifier Design using Transistors with Large Drain Capacitance and High Optimum Load Impedance”, IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems II, Express Briefs, (Early Access), July 2023.
- Xie J., Cheng, K.-K.M., Wong T., and Yu P., “Dual-band Pseudo-Doherty Load Modulated Balanced Amplifier Design by Exploiting the Periodicity of Branch-line Coupler”, European Microwave Conference, Berlin, 19-21 Sept. 2023.
- Cheng Y., and Cheng, K.-K.M., “Novel Design of High Isolation Compact Printed Monopoles Array for Dual-band Application”, Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 65, No. 9, pp. 2619-2625, Sept. 2023.
- Shi J., Dai W., Fang X., Zhou X., Sui J., Xia X., and Cheng, K.-K.M., “Novel Wideband Fully Integrated GaN Power Amplifier Design using a Hybrid Bandpass-Lowpass Output Matching Network”, IEEE Microwave and Wireless Technology Letters, Vol. 33, No. 8, pp. 1187-1190, Aug. 2023.
- Liu H., Xie J,, and Cheng, K.-K. M., “Impact of Non-ideal Auxiliary Current Profile on Linearity of Microwave Doherty Amplifiers: Theory and Experiments,” IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems-I: Regular Papers, Vol. 69, No. 6, pp. 2325-2338, June 2022.
- Lau C. Y., and Cheng, K.-K.M. “Compact, 14-Pattern-States, Reconfigurable Antenna Design and Characterization”, Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference (APMC), Australia, Dec. 2021.
- Lau C. Y., and Cheng, K.-K.M. “Pattern Reconfigurable 2-element MIMO Antenna Design by using Novel Switchable Decoupling and Matching Networks”, Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference (APMC), Australia, Dec. 2021.
- Cheng, Y.-F., and Cheng, K.-K. M., “Decoupling of 2 × 2 MIMO Antenna by using Mixed Radiation Modes and Novel Patch Element Design,” IEEE Transactions on Antennas & Wave Propagation, Vol. 69, No. 12, pp. 8204-8213, Dec. 2021.
- Liu H. Y., Cheng, K.-K.M., Zhai C. X., and Fang X. H., “Peak-Current-Ratio-Enhanced Compact Symmetrical Doherty Amplifier Design by using Active Harmonic Control”, IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 69, No. 6, pp. 3158-3170, June 2021.
- Zhai C. X., Liu H. Y., and Cheng, K.-K.M., “Single-Chip CMOS Reconfigurable Dual-Band Tri-Mode High-Efficiency RF Amplifier Design”, IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems II, Express Briefs, Vol. 68, No. 3, pp. 868-872, March 2021.
- Cheng, Y.-F., and Cheng, K.-K. M., “MIMO Antenna Design with Reconfigurable Radiation Pattern and High Port Isolation”, European Microwave Conference, The Netherlands, Jan. 2021.
- Liu H. Y., and Cheng, K.-K.M. “A Simple Design Methodology of Compact, Wide OBO Range, Symmetrical Doherty Amplifier with Non-Ideal Effects”, Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference (APMC), Hong Kong, Dec. 2020.
- Cheng, Y.-F., and Cheng, K.-K. M., “Decoupling of Two-element Printed Dipole Antenna Array by Optimal meandering Design,” IEEE Trans. Antennas & Wave Propagation, pp. 7328-7338, Nov. 2020.
- Cheng, Y.-F., and Cheng, K.-K. M., “Compact Wideband Decoupling and matching Network for Dual-Antenna Array,” IEEE Antennas & Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 19, pp. 791-795, May 2020.
- Liu H. Y., Zhai C. X., and Cheng, K.-K.M., “Novel Dual-band Equal-cell Doherty Amplifier Design with Extended Power Back-off Range”, IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 68, No. 3, pp. 1012-1021, March 2020.
- Liu H. Y., Fang, X. H., Cheng, K.-K.M., “Bandwidth Enhancement of Frequency Dispersive Doherty Power Amplifier”, IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 30, No. 2, pp. 185-188, Feb. 2020.