Starting with the introduction of different types of Intellectual Property (IP), such as patents, trademarks, registered design, copyright and trade secret, etc., from legal regulations, going through case studies and the best practices of intellectual property rights (IPR) protection and enforcement, to establish a foundation for the proactive management of IP and commercialization of technologies and innovations.
This course covers the following elements:
- Introduction of different types of IP from legal definition, requirements, and scope of protection
- Enforcement of different types of IP and the economic impact of IP
- IP information analysis and applications
- IP valuation and finance
- IP exploitation and anatomy of licensing agreement
- Formulating IP management strategy
This course aims to raise awareness of the principal concepts of Intellectual Property Management (IPM) and its importance as a spur to human creativity and the advancement of economic and social development. It also provides explanation on the development and implementation of an IPM strategy including the management of intellectual property (IP) in a company or an organization.
After going through the course, students are able :
- To identify the proper types of IP protection for an innovation
- To formulate a strategy to exploit a technology with IP protection
- To use IP information for planning and decision making
- To handle IP transactions through licensing
- To establish an IP management strategy for an organization