B.Eng. (HUST, China), Ph.D. (CUHK)
Silicon photonics, nanophotonics, photonic integrated circuits, nonlinear optics, and related applications in neuromorphic computing, computing security, real-time information processing, and data interconnects.
Resume of Career
Chaoran Huang received the B.Eng. Degree from Huazhong University of Science and Technology, China in 2012, and the Ph.D. degree from the Chinese University of Hong Kong, China in 2016. Before joining CUHK, she worked as a postdoctoral research fellow at Princeton University in 2017 to 2021. She was the recipient of 2019 Rising Stars Women in Engineering Asia, and was nominated by Princeton University to compete for Blavatnik Regional Awards for Young Scientists. She has authored more than 40 peer-reviewed research papers, three book chapters, and one US patent. She has been a TPC member of several international conferences and is a frequent reviewer for different journals in IEEE, OSA, and the Nature Publishing Group.
My research interests include silicon photonics, photonic integrated circuits, and nonlinear optics, serving applications including neuromorphic computing, computing security, real-time information processing, and optical interconnects. My current research focuses on developing neuromorphic photonic platforms, including novel devices, photonic integrated circuits, and complementary algorithms, for high-performance AI computing. We target overcoming the bandwidth and speed bottleneck in digital electronics and exploring new computing and application regions that require AI hardware with over GHz frequency response.
Selected publications from the last 3 years:
- A. Jha*, C. Huang*, and P. R. Prucnal, “Reconfigurable all-optical nonlinear activation functions for neuromorphic photonics,” Optics Letters, vol. 45, no. 17, pp. 4819–4822, 2020 (spotlight article)
- T. F. de Lima, A. N. Tait, A. Mehrabian, M. A. Nahmias, C. Huang, H.-T. Peng, B. A. Mar- quez, M. Miscuglio, T. El-Ghazawi, V. J. Sorger et al., “Primer on silicon neuromorphic photonic processors: architecture and compiler,” Nanophotonics, vol. 9, no. 13, pp. 4055–4073, 2020 (Invited)
- A. Jha, C. Huang, and P. R. Prucnal, “Reconfigurable all-optical nonlinear activation functions,” in IEEE Photonics Conference. IEEE, 2020 (Best paper award finalist)
- C. Huang, T. F. de Lima, A. N. Tait, E. Blow, S. Bilodeau, A. Jha, B. Shastri, and P. R. Prucnal, “Neuromorphic silicon photonics and its applications,” in Optical Fiber Communication Conference. Optical Society of America, 2021 (Invited)
- C. Huang, S. Fujisawa, T. F. de Lima, A. N. Tait, E. Blow, Y. Tian, S. Bilodeau, A. Jha, F. Yaman, Batshon, H.-T. Peng, Y. Inada, B. Shastri, T. Wang, and P. R. Prucnal, “Demonstration of photonic neural network for fiber nonlinearity compensation in long-haul transmission systems,” in Optical Fiber Communication Conference. Optical Society of America, 2020, pp. Th4C–6 (Postdeadline)
- C. Huang, A. Jha, T. F. de Lima, A. Tait, B. J. Shastri, and P. Prucnal, “On-chip programmable nonlinear optical signal processor and its applications,” IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics, 2020 (Invited)
- C. Huang, S. Bilodeau, T. Ferreira de Lima, A. N. Tait, P. Y. Ma, E. C. Blow, A. Jha, H.-T. Peng, B. J. Shastri, and P. R. Prucnal, “Demonstration of scalable microring weight bank control for large-scale photonic integrated circuits,” APL Photonics, vol. 5, no. 4, p. 040803, 2020
- P. Y. Ma, A. N. Tait, T. F. de Lima, C. Huang, B. J. Shastri, and P. R. Prucnal, “Photonic independent component analysis using an onchip microring weight bank,” Optics Express, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 1827–1844, 2020
- C. Huang, P. Y. Ma, E. C. Blow, P. Mittal, and P. R. Prucnal, “Accelerated secure key distribution based on localized and asymmetric fiber interferometers,” Optics Express, vol. 27, no. 22, pp. 32 096–32 110, 2019
- C. Huang, T. F. de Lima, A. Jha, S. Abbaslou, A. N. Tait, B. J. Shastri, and P. R. Prucnal, “Programmable silicon photonic optical thresholder,” IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, 2019
- C. Huang, P. Y. Ma, B. J. Shastri, P. Mittal, and P. R. Prucnal, “Robustness of optical stegano- graphic communication under coherent detection attack,” IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 327–330, 2019
- X. Wu, C. Huang, K. Xu, W. Zhou, C. Shu, and H. K. Tsang, “3× 104 Gb/s single-λ interconnect of mode-division multiplexed network with a multicore fiber,” Journal of Lightwave Technology, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 318–324, 2018