B.Sc.(London), Ph.D. (London), Sr.MIEEE, MIET, CEng (IEE)
RFIC/MMIC design, Microwave power amplifier design, Advanced designs of microwave circuits for multi-band and re-configurable system applications
Resume of Career
Michael obtained both his B.Sc. (1st class honor) and Ph.D. degree in Electronic Engineering from King's College, University of London, United Kingdom. He was awarded the Siemens Prize, IEE Prize, and Convocation Susquicentennial Prize in Engineering (University of London) in 1986, 1987 and 1988, respectively, for his academic achievements.
He joined the Department of Electronic Engineering at the Chinese University of Hong Kong as Assistant Professor in 1996 and became Professor in 2006. He was appointed as the Associate Dean of Engineering (Student Affairs) in 2004-2006. In 2008-2012, he served as Associate Editor of IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters. In 2018-19, he was the Associate Editor of IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory & Techniques.
He has authored/co-authored more than 60 IEEE journal papers with a total citation index of over 1,500 (self-citing excluded). He is also a contributing author of two book chapters: "MMIC Design" and "RFIC & MMIC design and technology", published by the IEE in 1995 and 2001, respectively.
Michael is the recipients of the Faculty Service Award (Engineering) in 2007 and 2016, Dean's Exemplary Teaching Award in 2017 and Vice-Chancellor's Exemplary Teaching Award in 2018.
Current Research Interests
RFIC/MMIC design, High efficiency power amplifier design, Linearization techniques, Re-configurable microwave devices, MIMO antenna design
Highlights of Recent Achievements
- Pioneering work on the development of advanced microwave passive devices for multi-band applications.
- Pioneering work on the development of multi-function and reconfigurable devices for adaptive microwave systems.
- Novel Doherty power amplifier architectures for broadband and high-efficiency operation
- New reconfigurable balun structures for dual-mode fully-integrated CMOS differential RF power amplifier design
Taught Courses (past 3 years)
- Electronic Product Design & Development
- Antennas and Wave Propagation for Wireless Communications
- RF Circuits and Systems
External Professional Service
- Panel Member (Engineering), Research Grants Council (2016 - 2021)
- ESS Assessment Panel Member, ITC, Government of the HKSAR (2021 - )
- Member, Appeal Board Panel (Electricity Ordinance), Government of the HKSAR (2019 -)
- Regular Reviewer: IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory & Techniques, IEEE Microwave & Wireless Components Letters; IET Electronics Letters
External Research Grants Awarded (Past 5 years)
- RGC/GRF (PI): "Broadband High Efficiency Doherty Power Amplifier Design for Advanced Wireless Systems".
- RGC/GRF (PI): "Pattern-Reconfigurable High-isolation MIMO Antenna Design for Wireless Handheld Terminals".
- RGC/GRF (PI): "Self-Linearizing Techniques for Advanced Design of High-Efficiency Doherty Microwave Power Amplifier".
Publications (past 3 Years)
- Cheng, Y.-F., and Cheng, K.-K. M., “Decoupling of 2 × 2 MIMO Antenna by using Mixed Radiation Modes and Novel Patch Element Design,” IEEE Transactions on Antennas & Wave Propagation, (Early Access), June 2021.
- Liu H. Y., Cheng, K.-K.M., Zhai C. X., and Fang X. H., “Peak-Current-Ratio-Enhanced Compact Symmetrical Doherty Amplifier Design by using Active Harmonic Control”, IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 69, No. 6, pp. 3158-3170, June 2021.
- Zhai C. X., Liu H. Y., and Cheng, K.-K.M., “Single-Chip CMOS Reconfigurable Dual-Band Tri-Mode High-Efficiency RF Amplifier Design”, IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems II, Vol. 68, No. 3, pp. 868-872, March 2021.
- Cheng, Y.-F., and Cheng, K.-K. M., “MIMO Antenna Design with Reconfigurable Radiation Pattern and High Port Isolation”, European Microwave Conference, The Netherlands, Jan. 2021.
- Liu H. Y., and Cheng, K.-K.M. “A Simple Design Methodology of Compact, Wide OBO Range, Symmetrical Doherty Amplifier with Non-Ideal Effects”, Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference (APMC), Hong Kong, Dec. 2020.
- Cheng, Y.-F., and Cheng, K.-K. M., “Decoupling of Two-element Printed Dipole Antenna Array by Optimal meandering Design,” IEEE Trans. Antennas & Wave Propagation, pp. 7328-7338, Nov. 2020.
- Cheng, Y.-F., and Cheng, K.-K. M., “Compact Wideband Decoupling and matching Network for Dual-Antenna Array,” IEEE Antennas & Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 19, pp. 791-795, May 2020.
- Liu H. Y., Zhai C. X., and Cheng, K.-K.M., “Novel Dual-band Equal-cell Doherty Amplifier Design with Extended Power Back-off Range”, IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 68, No. 3, pp. 1012-1021, March 2020.
- Liu H. Y., Fang, X. H., Cheng, K.-K.M., “Bandwidth Enhancement of Frequency Dispersive Doherty Power Amplifier”, IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 30, No. 2, pp. 185-188, Feb. 2020.
- Zhai C. X., and Cheng, K. K. M., “Linearity-Enhanced Dual Power-Mode CMOS RF Power Amplifier Design using Post-distortion”, IEEE Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference (APMC), Singapore, Dec. 2019.
- Zhou X. Y., Chan W. S., Zheng S. Y., Feng W. J., Liu H. Y., Cheng, K.-K.M., and Ho D., “A Mixed-Topology for Broadband High-Efficiency Doherty Power Amplifier”, IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 67, No. 3, pp. 1050-1064, March 2019.
- Fang, X. H., Liu H. Y., Cheng, K.-K.M., and Boumaiza S., “Modified Doherty Amplifier with Extended Bandwidth and Back-off Power range using Optimized Peak Combining Current Ratio”, IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 66, No. 12, pp. 5347-5357, Dec. 2018.
- Zhai C. X., and Cheng, K. K. M., “Novel Dual Power-Mode CMOS Differential Power Amplifier Design using Single Supply Voltage and a Compact Reconfigurable Output Combining Network”, IEEE Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference (APMC), Japan, Nov. 2018.
- Zhai, C. X., and Cheng, K.-K.M., “Dual-mode CMOS RF Power Amplifier Design using a Novel Reconfigurable Single-switch Single-inductor Balun”, IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 66, No. 10, pp. 4585-4594, October 2018.
- Cheng, Y. F., and Cheng, K.-K.M., “A Novel Dual-band Decoupling and Matching Technique for Asymmetric Antenna Arrays”, IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 66, No. 5, pp. 2080-2089, May 2018.