B.Sc.(London), Ph.D. (London), Sr.MIEEE, MIET, CEng (IEE)
RFIC/MMIC design, Microwave power amplifier design, Advanced designs of microwave circuits for multi-band and re-configurable system applications
Resume of Career
Michael obtained both his B.Sc. (1st class honour) and Ph.D. degree in Electronic Engineering from King's College, University of London, United Kingdom. He was awarded the Siemens Prize, IEE Prize, and Convocation Susquicentennial Prize in Engineering (University of London) in 1986, 1987 and 1988, respectively, for his academic achievements.
He joined the Department of Electronic Engineering at the Chinese University of Hong Kong as Assistant Professor in 1996 and became Professor in 2006. He was appointed as the Associate Dean of Engineering (Student Affairs) in 2004-2006. From 2008-2012, he served as Associate Editor of IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters.
He is the author/co-author of over 100 peer-reviewed international journal/conference papers with a total citation index of > 1500 (excluding self-cited). He is also a contributing author of two book chapters: "MMIC Design" and "RFIC & MMIC design and technology", published by the IEE in 1995 and 2001, respectively.
Michael is the recipients of the Faculty Service Award (Engineering) in 2007 and 2016, Dean's Exemplary Teaching Award and Vice-Chancellor's Exemplary Teaching Award in 2018.
Current Research Interests
RFIC/MMIC design, High efficiency power amplifier design, Linearization techniques, Re-configurable microwave devices, MIMO antenna design
Highlights of Recent Achievements
- Pioneering work on the development of advanced microwave passive devices for multi-band applications.
- Pioneering work on the development of multi-function and reconfigurable devices for adaptive microwave systems.
- Novel Doherty power amplifier architectures for broadband and high-efficiency operation
- New reconfigurable balun structures for dual-mode fully-integrated CMOS differential RF power amplifier design
Taught Courses (past 3 years)
- Electronic Product Design & Development
- Wireless Technology & Systems
- RF Electronics
- RF Circuits and Systems
External Professional Service (On-going)
- Associate Editor, IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory & Techniques
- Panel Member (Engineering), Research Grants Council (HKSAR)
- Member, Appeal Board Panel (Electricity Ordinance), Government of the HKSAR
- Regular Reviewer: IEEE Microwave & Wireless Components Letters; IET Electronics Letters
External Research Grants Awarded (Past 5 years)
- RGC/GRF (PI): "Design and Application of Novel Reconfigurable Microwave Control Device".
- RGC/GRF (PI): "Broadband High Efficiency Doherty Power Amplifier Design for Advanced Wireless Systems".
Publications (past 5 Years)
- Zhai, C. X., and Cheng, K.-K.M., “Dual-mode CMOS RF Power Amplifier Design using a Novel Reconfigurable Single-switch Single-inductor Balun”, IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 66, No. 10, pp. 4585-4594, October 2018.
- Cheng, Y. F., and Cheng, K.-K.M., “A Novel Dual-band Decoupling and Matching Technique for Asymmetric Antenna Arrays”, IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 66, No. 5, pp. 2080-2089, May 2018.
- Fang, X. H., Liu H. Y., Cheng, K.-K.M., and Boumaiza S., “Two-way Doherty Power Amplifier Efficiency Enhancement by Incorporating Transistors’ Nonlinear Phase Distortion”, IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 28, No. 2, pp. 168-170, Feb. 2018.
- Cai L. P., and Cheng, K.-K.M., “A Novel Design of Dual-band Rat-Race Coupler with Reconfigurable Power-dividing Ratio”, IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 28, No. 1, pp. 16-18, Jan. 2018.
- Cao, L. P, Cheng Y. F, and Cheng K. K. M., “Polarization Reconfigurable Antenna Design using a Novel and Compact Variable Signal Splitter,” IEEE Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference (APMC) Proceeding, pp. 112-115, Malaysia, Nov. 2017.
- Cao, L. P, Cheng Y. F, and Cheng K. K. M., “A Steerable Linearly-Polarized Antenna Design Based upon a Novel Variable Signal Splitter,” IEEE Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference (APMC) Proceeding, pp. 116-119, Malaysia, Nov. 2017.
- Liu H. Y., Fang X. H., and Cheng K.-K. M., “Built-in AM/AM and AM/PM Distortion Study of Generalized Symmetrical Doherty Amplifier”, Proceedings of the 47-th European Microwave Conference, Nuremberg, Germany, October 2017.
- Cheng Y.-F., and Cheng K.-K. M., “Novel Wideband Decoupling Technique for MIMO Antenna Arrays with Two Independently Controlled Transmission Zeros”, IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, Hawaii, USA, June 2017.
- Fang X. H., Liu H. Y., and Cheng K. K. M., “Extended Efficiency Range, Equal-cell Doherty Amplifier Design using Explicit Circuit Model”, IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 27, No. 5, pp. 497-499, May 2017.
- Cao L.-P., Cheng K.-K. M., “Continuously Tunable Polarization Agile Antenna Design using a Novel Varactor-only Signal Control Device”, IEEE Antenna and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, pp. 1147-1150, 2017.
- Cheng Y.-F., Cheng K.-K. M., “A Novel and Simple Decoupling Method for Three-element Antenna Array”, IEEE Antenna and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, pp. 1072-1075, 2017.
- Zhai C.-X., and Cheng K.-K. M., “Linearity Enhancement in CMOS Power Amplifier Design by using Varactor-embedded Output Matching Network”, European Microwave Conference, London, England, October 2016.
- Cheng K. K. M., and Chik M. C., “A Varactor-based Variable Attenuator Design with Enhanced Linearity Performance”, IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 63, No. 10, pp. 3191-3198, Oct. 2015.
- Fang X. H., and Cheng K. K. M., “Improving Power Utilization Factor of Broadband Doherty Amplifier by using Band-pass Auxiliary Transformer”, IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 63, No. 9, pp. 2811-2860, Sept. 2015.
- Fang X.-H., and Cheng K.-K. M., “Broadband, Wide Efficiency Range, Doherty Amplifier Design using Frequency-varying Complex Combining Load”, IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, Phoenix, USA, May 2015.
- Cao, L. P, Chik M. C, and Cheng K. K. M., “A Compact, Linearly-Polarized Antenna Design with Electronically Steerable Angle of Orientation”, IEEE Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference (APMC), Japan, Nov. 2014.
- Zhai C. X., and Cheng K. K. M., “Fully-Integrated CMOS Differential Class-E Power Amplifier with Combined Waveform-Shaping Network and Transformer-Based Balun”, IEEE Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference (APMC), Japan, Nov. 2014.
- Fang X. H, and Cheng, K. K. M., “Extension of High-Efficiency Range of Doherty Amplifier by Using Complex Combining Load”, IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 62, No. 9, pp. 2038-2047, Sept. 2014.
- Chik, M. C.; and Cheng Kwok-Keung M., “A Novel, Varactor-based Microwave Attenuator with Wide Tuning Ratio and Flat Insertion Loss Response”, IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, Florida, 1-6 June 2014.
- Chik, M. C.; Cheng, K.-K.M., “Group Delay Investigation of Rat-race Coupler Design with Tunable Power Dividing Ratio”, IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 24, No. 5, pp. 324-326, May 2014.
- Chik, M. C.; Li Wei; and Cheng Kwok-Keung M., “A 5GHz, Integrated Transformer-based Variable Power Divider Design in CMOS Process”, Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference Proceedings (APMC), Page(s): 366 - 368, Seoul, Nov 2013.
- Cheng, K.-K.M.; Chik, M. C., “A Frequency-Compensated Rat-Race Coupler with Wide Bandwidth and Tunable Power Dividing Ratio”, IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 61, No. 8, pp. 2841-2847, August 2013.
- Li, W.; Cheng, K.-K.M., “A CMOS Transformer-Based Current Reused SSBM and QVCO for UWB Application”, IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 61, No. 6, pp. 2395-2401, June 2013.