Chester Shu, received his B.Sc. degree in Physics from the University of Hong Kong in 1985 and his M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in Applied Physics from Columbia University in the City of New York in 1986 and 1991, respectively. His current research focuses on the generation, transmission, processing, detection, and characterization of signals for fiber communications, microwave photonics, and sensing systems. He has made original contributions in nonlinear fiber optics and ultrafast processing of optical communication signals. In particular, he developed new approaches of Raman-enhanced and Brillouin-enhanced optical processing schemes that offered exceptional benefits in the processing bandwidth, efficiency, adaptability, and signal quality. He conducted research in novel specialty fiber-based and semiconductor-based devices to process single and multi-wavelength signals with diverse bit rates, modulation formats, propagation modes, and polarizations. At CUHK, he has built advanced testbeds for coherent optical communication systems that operate up to 32 Gbaud per wavelength channel. He also set up the facility for ultrafast optical time division multiplexing and demultiplexing of signals using photonic crystal fiber based devices and asymmetric nonlinear loop multiplexers/demultiplexers. He cofounded the Photonic Packaging Laboratory, where he directed research on precise packaging of fiber-pigtailed semiconductor lasers and optical amplifiers using multi-layer dielectric coatings, laser welding, and multi-axis automatic alignment technologies.
In his graduate studies, Chester performed research on ultrafast optoelectronics with polysilicon and radiation-damaged GaAs devices using femtosecond pump-probe technique under the co-supervision of Prof. Edward Yang and Prof. David Auston. He also worked on the design and characterization of multi-quantum well lasers during his internship at Siemens Corporate Research Labs, Princeton, and on integrated electro-optic polymer waveguide modulators at a startup in Bothell, Washington in 1991-1992. He joined the Department of Electronic Engineering at CUHK in 1992 and became a full Professor in 2003. Over the years, he has authored more than 430 papers, including a number of invited papers and a book chapter in Quantum Well Lasers, Academic Press, Ed. Peter Zory.
Chester is a subject editor (Optical Communication) of IET Electronics Letters. He is also an associate editor of IEEE Photonics Journal. He served as a topical editor of Optics Letters in the area of optical fiber communications in 2005-2011, and an associate editor of HKIE Transactions in 2006-2011. He has been an organizer/technical program chair/committee member of many conferences including OFC, LEOS, ACP, OECC, CLEO-PR, and Photonics in Switching. Chester has been an advisory committee member of the Material and Packaging Domain in the Hong Kong Applied Science and Technology Research Institute, where he now serves in the technology review panel. He is a founding committee member of IEEE LEOS (now Photonics Society) Hong Kong Chapter of which he served as the Chairman in 2006 and 2007.
Associate Editor, IEEE Photonics Journal, 2017-2020
Topical Editor (optical fiber communications), Optics Letters, 2005-2011
Associate Editor, HKIE Transactions, 2006-2011
Technology Review Panel, ASTRI, Hong Kong, 2012-Present
Disciplinary Tribunal Panel, Electricity Ordinance (Chapter 406), Hong Kong, 2016-2019
External Examiner: HKUST, HKU, HKPU, CityUHK, National University of Singapore, Nanyang Technological University, McGill University, Monash University
- J. Liu, "Stimulated Brillouin Scattering Based Microwave Photonics Subsystems" 2018.
- H. Wu, "Digital Signal Processing Techniques Assisted Distributed Brillouin Optical Time Domain Analyzer Fiber Sensor" 2018.
- Q. J. Xie, "Programmable Schemes of Optical Pulse Processing for High-Speed Photonic Subsystems" 2018.
- B. F. Zheng, "Raman Assisted Optical Processing for High Speed Coherent Communication Systems" 2018.
- C. R. Huang, "Advanced Optical Parametric Processing Schemes for Subsystem Applications in Fiber Communications" 2016.
- J. Q. Wang, "Graphene Integrated Silicon Nitride and Silicon Waveguide Optoelectronic Devices" 2016.
- X. L. Fu, "Phase-Sensitive Optical Signal Processing Techniques" 2014.
- X. J. Guo, "Advanced Schemes of Parametric Amplification and Processing in Highly Nonlinear Fibers" 2014.
- L. Wang, "Stimulated Brillouin Scattering Based Optical Signal Processing for Fiber-Optic Communications and Sensing" 2013.
- Y. H. Dai, "Optical Signal Processing of Phase-Modulated Signals for Communications" 2011.
- J. B. Du, "Novel Interferometer Based Optical Processing Devices and Their Applications" 2011.
- K. P. Lei, "Time- and Wavelength-Interleaved Pulsed Laser Source for High-Capacity Optical Processing" 2011.
- M. P. Fok, "Optical Processing Techniques for Advanced Fiber-Optic Communication Systems" 2007.
- W. W. Tang, "New Picosecond Optical Pulse Sources with Broad Tunability and Arbitrary Repetition Rate" 2005.
- K. K. Chow, "All-Optical Processing Devices for High-Speed Fiber Communications" 2003.
- K. L. Lee, "Switching-Wavelength Picosecond Pulses and Their Applications in Photonic Processing of High-Speed Analog And Digital Signals" 2003.
- K. S. Lee, "Generation And Characterization of Tunable Multi-Wavelength Continuous-Wave and Picosecond-Pulsed Outputs from a Semiconductor Laser" 1998.
- K. K. Li, "Transmission Experiments with Fiber-Optic Recirculating Loop", (M.Sc.) 2015.
- Q. J. Xie, "Time- and Wavelength-Interleaved Pulse Train Generation Based on Dispersion-Managed Fiber," (M.Sc.) 2013.
- L. J. Zou, "Using Cascaded Modulators to Generate Ultra-Flat Optical Comb Based on Linear Chirp," (M.Sc.) 2013.
- Y. Yang, "Optical Fiber Sensing Networks For Strain Measurement," (M.Sc.) 2012.
- L. K. Cheng, "All-Optical Switching and Variable Delay Using Nonlinear Optical Processing Techniques," 2008.
- S. H. Lee, "All-Fiber Signal Processing Techniques Using Nonlinear Phase Modulation of Light," 2005.
- M. P. Fok, "Multi-Wavelength Injection Locking of Semiconductor Laser Diodes and its Applications," 2004.
- W. L. Chan, "New Methods in All-Optical Signal Processing with Semiconductor Optical Amplifier Based Mach-Zehnder Interferometer," 2004.
- S. W. Chan, "New Approaches for Laser Pulse Generation and Signal Processing Using Optical Phase Modulation," 2003.
- W. W. Tang, "Optically-Controlled Generation of Wavelength-Tunable Pulses from Semiconductor and Fiber Lasers Using a Nonlinear Optical Loop Mirror," 2001.
- K. L. Lee, "New Methods to Generate Wavelength-Tunable Pulses Using the Dispersion Tuning Approach," 2000.
- K. K. Chow, "Wavelength Selection and Switching in Short Pulses Generated from Semiconductor Lasers," 2000.
- K. Chan, "Electrically Wavelength-Tunable Pulses Generated from Semiconductor Lasers and Erbium Doped Fiber Lasers," 1999.
- S. P. Yam, "Tunable Multi-Wavelength Picosecond Pulses Generated from a Fabry-Perot Laser Diode," 1998.
- P. T. Chan, "Optical Heterodyne Detection with Balanced GaInAs Metal-Semiconductor-Metal Photodetectors," 1996.
- Y. C. Lee, "Generation and Characterization of Wavelength-Tunable Picosecond Optical Pulses by Self-Seeding of a Gain-Switched Fabry-Perot Laser Diode," 1995.
- K. S. Lee, "Novel Schemes for Time-Division-Multiplexing of High-Speed Optical Signals," 1995.
- H. S. Choy, "Interdigitated Metal-Semiconductor-Metal Photodetectors on III-V Compound Semiconductor Materials," 1994.
- T. C. She, "GaAs Optoelectronic Logic Devices," 1994.
Recent Research Grants and Projects▼
GRF/RGC/ITF and Other Grants
- "Optical frequency comb regeneration and its application in multi-wavelength Kramers-Kronig detection systems for access and metro networks," $673,470 GRF (1/2020-12/2022)
- "Widely spaced optical frequency combs: generation, characterization, and applications," $600,000 GRF (12/2017-11/2020)
- "Distortion-compensated optical phase conjugators for multi-wavelength communication systems," $450,432 GRF (1/2017-12/2018)
- "Raman-assisted fiber optical parametric amplifier based multi-wavelength amplification and signal regeneration," $692,894 GRF (1/2015-6/2017)
- "Multichannel wavelength-division processing for high-speed instrumentation and communications," $645,500 GRF (1/2014-6/2016)
- "All-optical processing and optical sensing in fibers mediated with stimulated Brillouin scattering slow light," $718,473 GRF (1/2010-12/2012)
- "Widely tunable fiber-optic delay schemes based on nonlinear optical signal processing techniques," $488,109 GRF (1/2009-12/2010)
- "All-optical data format conversion and signal regeneration for future communication networks," $604,800 GRF (1/2008-12/2009)
- "Dynamically tunable birefringence optical comb filters and their applications in multi-wavelength communications," $510,704 RGC (1/2006-6/2008)
- "New Approaches for Ultrafast Processing of Photonic Signals Using Fiber Kerr Non-linearity," $851,448 RGC (1/2005-12/2007)
- "All-optical wavelength converters for dense wavelength-division multiplexing communications," $628,582 RGC (9/2003-8/2006)
- "Photonic pre-processors for ultrafast analog-to-digital converters," $443,404 RGC (10/2002-9/2004)
- "Photonic Packaging Laboratory," $13,000,000 Innovation and Technology Fund (6/2001-5/2004)
- "A new family of electrically wavelength-tunable semiconductor and fiber lasers," $514,817 RGC (11/2000-10/2003)
- "Novel wavelength-tunable devices for broadband optical communications," $72,000 British Council UK/Hong Kong Joint Research Scheme (1/2000-4/2002)
- "Spectral dynamics in gain-switched distributed-feedback laser diode under the influence of weak external feedback," $360,000 RGC (1/1998-12/2000)
- "III-V based ultrafast metal-semiconductor-metal photodetectors," $711,000 RGC (9/1995-2/1999)
- "A novel scheme of wavelength-multiplexing using self-injection locked lasers," $180,000 Croucher Foundation (9/1995-8/1999)
Academic Equipment Grants
- "Phase noise characterization system for optical communication signals,"$1,419,694, (2016-17)
- "400 Gbit/s coherent optical communications testbed,"$1,896,328 (2015-2016)
- "High-bandwidth electrical signal generation and measurement system,"$1,810,556, (2013-14)
- "Lightwave testbed for spectrally efficient polarization-division-multiplexing coherent communications,"$1,354,032 (2012-2013)
- "Multiband bit-error rate measurement system," $1,252,485 (2010-2011)
- "QPSK optical transmitter system" $1,720,000 (2009-2010)
- "160-Gbit/s lightwave communication testbed," $1,950,000 (2007-2008)
Research Committee Grants
- "Lightwave testbed for effective processing of optical signals in advanced modulation formats for energy- and spectrum-efficient communication networks," $500,000 Group Research Scheme (6/2018-6/2020)
- "Fiber optics research group," $1,500,000 One-off Funding for Research (4/2016-6/2017)
- "Optical signal processing technologies based on cascaded four-wave mixing," $61,550 Direct Grant (1/2013-12/2014)
- "A new class of multifunctional nonlinear devices for bit-rate variable optical signal processing," $60,492 Direct Grant (1/2012-12/2013)
- "Advanced optical signal processing techniques for next-generation communication networks," $400,000 Group Research Scheme (5/2011-5/2013)
- "All-optical data format conversion schemes for future communication networks," $105,000 Direct Grant (2007-2008)
- "Photonic analog-to-digital converters," $150,000 Direct Grant (10/2002-9/2004)
- "Hybrid integrated photodetectors for silicon nitride waveguide based on-chip optical interconnects using 2-D materials and Van der Waals heterostructures," $495,086 GRF (1/2019-12/2021)
- "Integrated spectrometer for spectral domain optical coherence tomography," $3,130.40600 Innovation and Technology Fund (3/2018-2/2020)
- "16-QAM integrated Franz-Keldysh electro-absorption modulators for optical interconnects," $482,605 GRF (1/2017-12/2019)
- "Applications of two-dimensional hyperuniform disordered photonic structures," $696,029 GRF (1/2016-12/2018)
- "Research on silicon photonics ICTR and related elements reliability," $1,630,000 Huawei Technologies Co. Ltd., (2015-2016)
- "Experimental investigation of thermal characteristics of silicon waveguide based anti-Stokes Raman resonators," $692,894 GRF (1/2015-6/2018)
- "Key functional photonic elements for on-chip mode-multiplexed optical interconnects," $1,098,911 NSFC/RGC Joint Research Scheme (1/2015-12/2018)
- "Integrated silicon photonics for over 200Gb/s metro optical networks," $1,399,490 Innovation and Technology Fund (9/2014-6/2016)
- "Optical nonlinearities in silicon membrane waveguides," $645,500 GRF (12/2013-11/2016)
- "Nonlinear optical properties and applications of graphene-silicon optical waveguides," $700,000 GRF (10/2012-9/2015)
- "Nanophotonic functional elements for integrated optical differential phase modulated receivers," $714,100 RGC Earmarked Grant (12/2010-5/2013)
- "Hybrid silicon waveguide lasers," $999,698 Innovation and Technology Fund (12/2010-5/2012)
- "Low-cost linear optical modulator for multiservice wireless networks distribution, " $999,999 Innovation and Technology Fund (9/2009-2/2011)
- "Ultra-high resolution electron-beam lithography system," $7,762,500 UGC Special Equipment Grant and $2,587,500 CUHK Matching Fund (8/2008-6/2011)
Recent Invited Talks/Papers▼
- "Nonlinear Bragg scattering for coherent addition of light waves and its applications," to be presented at OptoElectronics and Communications Conference /International Conference on Photonics in Switching and Computing (OECC/PSC), Fukuoka, Japan, July, 2019
- "Fiber-based temporal waveform processor enabled by discrete Fourier transform of optical pulse train with fractional-rate modulation" to be presented at IEEE International Topical Meeting on Microwave Photonics (MWP 2019), Ottawa, Canada, Oct. 2019
- "Programmable schemes on temporal processing of optical pulses for high-speed photonic subsystems," Optical Fiber Communication Conference and Exhibition (OFC), San Diego, USA, March 2019
- "Carrier regeneration and its application in self-coherent optical systems," Asia Communications and Photonics Conference (ACP), Hangzhou, China, Oct 2018
- "High-performance CVD graphene on silicon nitride waveguide photodetectors," International Photonics and Optoelectronics Meeting (POEM), Wuhan, China, Oct-Nov 2018
- "Raman-enhanced optical phase conjugator in WDM coherent transmission systems," JORCEP Workshop, the Asia Communications and Photonics Conference (ACP), Guangzhou, China, Oct 2017
- "Dynamic phase matching control for enhanced four-wave mixing processing of polarization-division-multiplexed coherent optical signals," the Asia Communications and Photonics Conference (ACP), Guangzhou, China, Oct 2017
- "Mechanism for enhanced performance in Raman-mediated optical phase conjugation," International Conference on Optical Communications and Networks (ICOCN), Hangzhou, China, Sept 2016
- "Inelastic light scattering enhanced optical parametric processing of communication signals," Optics & Photonics Taiwan, the International Conference (OPTIC), Hsinchu, Taiwan, Dec 2015
- "Passively mode-locked Raman fiber laser constructed with graphene nanoplatelets saturable absorber," IEEE TENCON, Macau, China, Nov 2015
- "Advances in Raman-mediated parametric processing in nonlinear fibers," IEEE Photonics Society Summer Topicals (SUM), Nassau, Bahamas, July, 2015
- "Optical phase and amplitude control of parametric pump in a fiber amplifier," Photonics Global Conference (PGC), Singapore, June-July, 2015
- "Adaptable photonic ultrawideband pulse generation using phase-modulated light injection into a semiconductor laser," the Opto-Electronics and Communication Conference and the Australian Conference on Optical Fibre Technology (OECC/ACOFT), Melbourne, Australia, July 2014.
Other Selected Invited Talks/Papers
- "Polarization considerations for amplitude regeneration in a fiber optical parametric amplifier," Photonics Global Conference (PGC), Singapore, Dec 2012
- "Format conversion for advanced modulation format signals," Conference Workshop WS3 All-Optical Processing of Advanced Modulation Format Signals, European Conference on Optical Communication (ECOC), Turin, Italy, September 2010
- "Fiber-based optical processing for future communication networks," Asian Conference on Ultrafast Phenomena (ACUP), Taipei, Taiwan, January 2010
- "Bismuth oxide fiber-based tunable delay schemes using nonlinear optical processing techniques," IEEE Lasers and Electro-Optics Society (LEOS) Winter Topical Meeting, Innsbruck, Austria, Jan 2009
- "Recent advances in optical processing techniques using highly nonlinear bismuth oxide fiber," IEEE J. Selected Topics in Quantum Electron. (JSTQE), vol. 14, No.3, pp.587-598, May/June, 2008
- "Switching-wavelength pulsed source and its applications in parallel processing of high-speed signals," IEICE Trans. Electron., Special Section on Evolution of Microwave and Millimeter-Wave Photonics Technology, vol. E90-C, No.2, pp. 397-404, February 2007
- "Nonlinear optical approaches for the generation of multi-wavelength outputs from fiber lasers," Optical Amplifiers and Their Applications (OAA), OSA Topical Meeting, Whistler, Canada, June 2006
- "Multi-wavelength pulsed sources and their applications in the processing of analog and digital signals," Asia-Pacific Microwave Photonics Conference (AP-MWP), Kobe, Japan, April 2006.
- Co-chair of ACP Microwave photonics and optical signal processing track
- Coordinator and Co-chair of CLEO-PR Optical signal processing track
- Coordinator and Co-chair of CLEO-PR/OECC/PGC Optical signal processing track
- Co-chair of ACP/POEM Optical signal processing and microwave photonics track
- TPC member of Nonlinear Photonics Meeting, OSA Photonics and Fiber Technology Congress, PS/OECC Photonics in Switching/Optoelectronics and Communications Conference, IEEE ICCS, IEEE APCC
- Coordinator and Co-chair of ACP Optical Signal Processing and Microwave Photonics track
- TPC member of PS2015, PGC2015
ENGG5291 Fiber Optics: Principles and Technologies
ELEG5755 Optical Communications and Interconnects
ELEG3302 Fundamentals of Photonics
ELEG3303 Introduction to Optical Communications
ELEG2202 Circuits and Devices I
ESTR1003 Engineering Physics: Electromagnetics, Optics and Modern Physics
- Bowen Public Lecture Series "Optical Fibre Communications: A Taste of Green Technology," Hong Kong Central Library, Hong Kong, April 23, 2010.
- "A Tribute to Prof. Charles Kao - Father of Fibre Optics" Public Lectures "Optical Fibre Communications: Charm and Challenges," Hong Kong Science Museum, Hong Kong, December 20, 2009.