BSc, MPhil, PhD (CUHK)
|+852 3943 8267
|Rm324, Ho Sin Hang Engineering Building,
The Chinese Univerisity of Hong Kong,
Shatin, Hong Kong
Resume of Career
Tan Lee received his BSc and MPhil degrees in Electronics,
and PhD degree in Electronic Engineering, all from the Chinese
University of Hong Kong (CUHK), in 1988, 1990 and 1996
respectively. He is currently an Associate Professor and the Director
of Undergraduate Studies in the
Department of Electronic Engineering at CUHK. During 2011-2014, he was
the Associate Dean of
Engineering, responsible for student-related and
non-formal education matters.
Tan Lee has been working on speech and language related research since early 90s. His research interests cover automatic speech recognition, text-to-speech, speaker recognition, language recognition, speech enhancement and separation, audio event/scene classification; music information processing; hearing aids and cochlear implants, pathological speech processing, neurological basis of speech and language. Tan Lee led the effort on developing Cantonese-focused spoken language technologies that have been widely licensed for industrial applications. His work addressed many challenging problems in multi-lingual and cross-lingual speech processing, e.g., code-switching, low- or zero-resource languages. Tan Lee's recent research is featured by in-depth and substantive collaboration across a wide spectrum of disciplines. He is committed to apply signal processing and machine learning methods to atypical speech and language that are resulted from differents kinds of human communication and cognitive disorders.
At CUHK, Tan Lee teaches courses on signals and systems,
digital signal processing, speech processing and automatic speech
recognition. He was invited to teach an intensive course on spoken
language technology tailored for the Yao Class at Tsinghua University in
2013, 2015 and 2017. Tan Lee also gives popular talks widely at
secondary schools, on topics related to artificial intelligence, machine
learning and automatic speech recognition.
Honors and Awards
- Co-inventing ACEHearingTM, the winner of the Bronze Award in Asian Innovation Awards 2011.
- CUHK Vice-Chancellor's Exemplary Teaching Award in 2004.
- CUHK Faculty of Engineering's Exemplary Teaching Awards (12 times during 2001-2018)
- Best student paper in ICASSP 2005 (as co-author).
- Associate Editor, IEEE/ACM Transactions on Audio, Speech and Language Processing
- Associate Editor, EURASIP Journal on Advances in Signal Processing.
- Vice Chair, ISCA Special Interest Group of Chinese Spoken Language Processing
- Guest Editor, IEEE JSPST Special Issue on "Automatic Assessment of Health Disorders Based on Voice, Speech and Language Processing"
- General Co-Chair, the 11th International Symposium on Chinese Spoken Language Processing (ISCSLP)
- Area Chairs, Technical Programme Committees of INTERSPEEFCH 2014, 2016 and 2018