Current Research Interests
Speech signal processing, spoken language technologies, pattern recognition, multimedia information retrieval, hearing and speaking assistive and rehabilitation technologies, music information processing
Highlights of Recent Achievements
- Developed a series of spoken language technologies: CUCorpora, CUCall, CURSBB, CUTalk, CU2C, CUMIX, CUProsody, which have been licensed widely for industrial applications.
- Developed a spoken term detection system that won the first place in the Spoken Web Search (SWS) Task of MediaEval 2012.
Recent Research Projects
- RGC General Research Fund: Periodicity Enhancement and Phonemic Restoration for Improving Speech Perception by Hearing Impaired Listeners, HK$ 922,000 (Dec. 2011 - Nov. 2014).
- RGC General Research Fund: Developing a hands-free electrolarynx of natural sound quality for Chinese-speaking laryngectomees, HK$ 1,476,000 (Dec. 2010 - Nov. 2013).
- SHIAE Project Grant: Signal Processing Strategies on Cochlear Implant Devices for Effective Speech Perception of Tonal Languages, HK$ 696,000 (Jul. 2009 - Jun. 2011).
- RGC General Research Fund: Knowledge-based speech separation, HK$ 646,382 (Jan. 2009 - Dec. 2010).
- Innovation and Technology Fund: DJ X - A Personalized Music Recommendation System, HK$ 989,000 (Sept. 2008 - Feb. 2010).
- RGC General Research Fund: Periodicity enhancement of speech signals for improved perception of tonal languages, HK$ 844,880 (Jan. 2008 - Dec. 2009).
- Feng Huang, Yu Ting Yeung, Tan Lee, "Evaluation of pitch estimation algorithms on separated speech," to appear in Proceedings of ICASSP 2013, Vancouver, May 2013.
- Yu Ting Yeung, Tan Lee, Cheung-Chi Leung, "Using dynamic conditional random field on single-microphone speech separation," to appear in Proceedings of ICASSP 2013, Vancouver, May 2013.
- Haipeng Wang, Tan Lee, Cheung-Chi Leung, Bin Ma, Haizhou Li, "Using parallel tokenizers with DTW matrix combination for low-resource spoken term detection," to appear in Proceedings of ICASSP 2013, Vancouver, May 2013.
- Raymond W. M. Ng, Tan Lee, Cheung-Chi Leung, Bin Ma, and Haizhou Li, "Spoken language recognition with prosodic features," accepted for publication in IEEE Transactions on Audio, Speech and Language Processing.
- Haipeng Wang, Cheung-Chi Leung, Tan Lee, Bin Ma, and Haizhou Li, "Shifted-delta MLP features for spoken language recognition," Vol. 20, pp.15-18, January 2013.
- Feng Huang and Tan Lee, "Pitch estimation in noisy speech using accumulated peak spectrum and sparse estimation technique," IEEE Transactions on Audio, Speech and Language Processing, Vol. 21, No.1, pp.99-109, January 2013.
- Anna Chi Shan Kam, John Ka Keung Sung, Tan Lee, Terence Ka Cheong Wong and Charles A. van Hasselt, "Clinical evaluation of a computerized self-administered hearing test," International Journal of Audiology, Vol.51, No.8 , Pages 606-610, August 2012.
- Ning Wang, P.C. Ching, Nengheng Zheng and Tan Lee, "Robust speaker recognition using denoised vocal source and vocal tract features," IEEE Transactions on Audio, Speech and Language Processing, Vol.19, No.1, pp.196-205, 2011.
- Feng Huang and Tan Lee, "Robust pitch estimation using L1-regularized maximum likelihood estimation," in Proceedings of INTERSPEECH 2012, Portland.
- Feng Huang and Tan Lee, "Sparsity-based confidence measure for pitch estimation in noisy speech," in Proceedings of ICASSP 2012, pp.4601-4604, Kyoto, Japan, March 2012.
- Feng Huang, Tan Lee and Bastiaan Kleijn, "Transform-domain Wiener filter for speech periodicity enhancement," in Proceedings of ICASSP 2012, pp.4577-4580, Kyoto, Japan, March 2012.
- Yu Ting Yeung, Tan Lee and Cheung-Chi Leung, "Integrating multiple observations for model-based single-microphone speech separation with conditional random fields," in Proceedings of ICASSP 2012, pp.257-260, Kyoto, Japan, March 2012.
- Haipeng Wang, Cheung-Chi Leung, Tan Lee, Bin Ma and Haizhou Li, "An acoustic segment modeling approach to query-by-example spoken term detection," in Proceedings of ICASSP 2012, pp.5157-5160, Kyoto, Japan, March 2012.
- Feng Huang, Tan Lee and Bastiaan Kleijn, "Transform-domain speech periodicity enhancement with adaptive coefficient weighting," in Proceedings of ISPACS 2011, Thailand, December 2011.
- Haipeng Wang, Tan Lee and Cheung-Chi Leung, "Unsupervised spoken term detection with acoustic segment model," in 2011 Oriental COCOSDA Conference, Hsinchu, Taiwan, October 26-28, 2011.
- Nengheng Zheng, Tan Lee, Lawrence C.M. Mak, "Model-based non-negative matrix factorization for single-channel speech separation," in Proceedings of ICSPCC 2011, pp. 385-388, XiĄŻan, China, September 2011.
- Tan Lee and P.C. Ching, "Dealing with imperfections in human speech communication with advanced speech processing techniques," in Proceedings of 2011 International Symposium on Signals, Circuits and Systems, pp.325-330, Iasi, Romania, June 2011.
- Raymond W. M. Ng, Cheung-Chi Leung, Tan Lee, Bin Ma and Haizhou Li, "Score fusion and calibration in multiple language detectors with large performance variation," in Proceedings of ICASSP 2011, pp.4404-4407, Prague, Czech, May 2011.