Objective & Syllabus
This course aims to provide students with a general understanding of various computational techniques that enable machines to understand different types of data and signals, including text, speech, image and video. The course content covers the methods that are used to analyze, classify and detect the underlying information, properties and modalities inherent in complex signals. Students will learn the theories, models, algorithms and operation of machine learning tools, which have been successfully developed and deployed for speech/audio and image/video processing applications. Specifically, the basics and recent progress of deep learning techniques will be introduced.
Upon completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Describe the properties of different types of signals
- Explain the fundamental concepts, theories and algorithms of machine learning
- Describe the advantages, limitations and trends of deep learning techniques
- Apply machine learning algorithms to solve a given problem of signal processing
- Use machine learning tools to implement a system of audio/visual signal processing